Thread: Annie Oakley

Default Annie Oakley

Does anyone know what brand of guns she used in her act?

Annie Oakley had many guns. On display at The National Annie Oakley Center at Garst Museum is a Winchester 1873 .44-40 caliber factory-made, smooth bore rifle that Annie Owned. Made in 1892, it was given to Annie by buffalo Bill Cody. Both Annie and Buffalo Bill used smooth-bore rifles in the Wild West Show arena shooting at aerial target. (they used shot shells)

Shirl Kasaper's book, Annie Oakley, lists the following makes of guns.Short guns: Lancaster, Cashmore, Francotte, Parker, Purday, Spencer, Scott, L..C .Smith, Ithaca, Cranston, and P. Webley & Sons. Her rifles included Winchester, Stevens, Marlin, Lancaster Hooland, and Remington. Her pistols and revolvers were Smith & Wesson, Stevens, Colt, and Renette.

The name Cranston in Oakley's time has me doing this >>>
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    Annie Oakley had many guns. On display at The National Annie Oakley Center at Garst Museum is a Winchester 1873 .44-40 caliber factory-made, smooth bore rifle that Annie Owned. Made in 1892, it was given to Annie by buffalo Bill Cody. Both Annie and Buffalo Bill used smooth-bore rifles in the Wild West Show arena shooting at aerial target. (they used shot shells)

Shirl Kasaper's book, Annie Oakley, lists the following makes of guns.Short guns: Lancaster, Cashmore, Francotte, Parker, Purday, Spencer, Scott, L..C .Smith, Ithaca, Cranston, and P. Webley & Sons. Her rifles included Winchester, Stevens, Marlin, Lancaster Hooland, and Remington. Her pistols and revolvers were Smith & Wesson, Stevens, Colt, and Renette.
    And in my readings throughout the years they ALL claim to be THE gun that Annie Oakley used and preferred.

In her demonstrations, it is not well known that she used shot shells, ie: brass loaded with shot instead of a bullet.

My grandmother on my mom's side, Annie Retzlaff, was an Annie Oakley. She homesteaded in what became McKenzie County ND when she was 16. Every year the homesteaders would have a fair and one of the events was a shooting competition. The shooter would stand up in a wagon driven fast as the horses could run over the prairie. He/she would shoot gophers/prairie dogs on sight. Riders followed to pick up the kill. The judges counted the dogs to see who won. grandma always won. She used a pump=action .22, probably a Winchester

jn

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    My grandmother on my mom's side, Annie Retzlaff, was an Annie Oakley. She homesteaded in what became McKenzie County ND when she was 16. Every year the homesteaders would have a fair and one of the events was a shooting competition. The shooter would stand up in a wagon driven fast as the horses could run over the prairie. He/she would shoot gophers/prairie dogs on sight. Riders followed to pick up the kill. The judges counted the dogs to see who won. grandma always won. She used a pump=action .22, probably a Winchester

jn
    They don't make women like that any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    They don't make women like that any more.
    Oh yes they do!

jn

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    Oh yes they do!

jn
    Jessie Duff!!
    Read, think, UNDERSTAND, comment