Thread: The Promise

Threaded View

Default The Promise

I had been waiting to see this and watched it a bit late. The movie is about the 1914 Armenian genocide seen through the eyes of the fictitious members of a love triangle reminiscent of Dr. Zhivago. While the characters are fictionalized many of the events including the evacuation of several thousand Armenians by the French Navy are not. It is actually quite good and the first movie on the subject the Turks were not able to suppress. I understand the movie cost $90,000,000.00 to make and didn't recoup the money. I also understand the producers didn't expect to recover their money. If that's so it is one case in which the Hollywood bunch putting profit aside to make a point is probably a good thing.

Though not a great movie its very good and well done one. It's well worth watching.

Speaking of the Frogs. I see there is a thread on the new Dunkirk movie. One of the neglected facts about the evacuation is that it was covered by French troops who knew they weren't getting out. The tenacious rear guard action by the French, especially the 12th Motorized Infantry who burned their colors to prevent them from falling into Nazi hands at the end are worthy of fond recollection. After hearing that the evacuation was complete Churchill ordered the ships back to bring our as many French and allied troops as possible. Unfortunately the men of the 12th were not among them.
    Last edited by Art; 07-22-2017 at 07:50. Reason: Correction