Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have a Model '97 Serial nbr 948565, it is identified as being made in 1942. It has no military markings anywhere. It has the correct length and is marked as being a CYL Bore. It is a break down model and when I became the owner it had Yellow Paint Stencil numbers across the stock . I don't recall the nbrs. but wish I had left them there. Removed them with some Acetone and polished it up. This was before I knew anything about military shotguns. My guess it was probably law enforcement connected, prison, or possibly security. I have actually shot skeet with this gun, but you have to be quick. LOL

john
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

2. Default

Number is probably too high to be WWII production.

Even though it is dated 1942? Not trying to imply it was manufactured for the war, but it appears to have been made during that time frame. Response appreciated.
    Thanks
    john
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

4. Default

If you are dating it from the Maadis book or it's progeny, their numbers are not correct.
    There should be a date on the barrel. Under the action bar near the receiver.

5. Default

The receiver was serialized in late 1942.

scogt,
    There should be a date on the barrel. Under the action bar near the receiver
    . this is exactly where I'm getting the '42. If I remember correctly
    you gave me this information couple years ago. (looking through some old post)

john
    Last edited by JOHN COOK; 08-05-2017 at 01:58.

7. Default M97

Scosgt
    Here's a photo of the date at the rear of barrel, by the way I pulled it off gunbroker as I decided not to sell, you said you weren't convinced it was legit, could explain why?IMG_1507.jpg

8. Default

I think it has been explained above.
    As well, the stock does not appear to have the original finish (they were commercial varnish, of course it might just be the picture) and the cartouches are perfect. That is always the first clue something is not right.

I own M97 Riot 941561 with U.S. and flaming bomb on the receiver, "42" between barrel and magazine, and it dates to 1942 at winchestercollector.org. The stock has been sanded at some time in the past, but I can make out a very faint boxed WB. However, I don't see any sign of an ordnance wheel below it.

Last edited by azimuth; 04-23-2018 at 04:46. Reason: added info

10. Default

That serial puts it into the Trench gun range, but a riot is also possible at that serial.