Blog Entries

Default It's not military but

I have my grandfathers single shot shotgun. I'm 73 and I remember when I was 5-6, it stood in the pantry, behind a curtain, on the farm. It had black 'plastic' tape wrapped around the butstock even then. Today I unwrapped the plastic and no telling how long it's been since that stock has seen daylight.... There are 3 open cracks where the wrist mates with the action. Cracks are old, obviously, and professional repair is out of the question. Value of the gun is only intrinsic to family. Barrel is fluid steel chambered for 2 1/2" 12 Ga. and gun is marked Electric City; probably made by Crescent Arms as a trade gun.

Now, I have successfully glass bedded my M1 so I think one of the epoxies like Accraglass or Bisonite could affect the repair. How is the best way to remove the accululated grease and oil? The wood appears sound.

If you can take the stock off put it in a black trash bag and let it sit in the sun. Take out and wipe it down until it stops bleeding.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Acetone and heat is one method. Soak in very hot water is another but I’ve had mixed results with that.

DO NOT USE WATER!!!! The wood will swell and you will lose any close fit between the wood pieces. Remove wood from shotgun. Soak smaller pieces of wood in naptha in a sealed jar. Soak main stock in Naptha in a tube of PVC just big enough to get stock into (caps on both ends, glue one end only). Let the stuff soak for 2 weeks (or more). Remove from solvent and let air dry for several days to weeks as needed. Use Acraglass to glue back together.

Good Luck !!

Emri

Is there a question?

Quote Originally Posted by hyrax222 View Post
    Is there a question?
    Yes.

"How is the best way to remove the accululated grease and oil?"

[QUOTE=Allen;525353]Yes.

"How is the best way to remove the accululated grease and oil?"[/QUOTE

I’ve played with everything under the sun. The best results were black plastic and sun, I actually use my greenhouse when it’s empty in July or August when humidity is low. The grease will be pulled out. Wipe down with acetone damp rag and repeat. The more time I spend the better results. The sun will do the same, and I’ve heard of folks putting the wrapped stock in their car window, but I’ve never tried that.

The Naptha method worked well to, just have to have a homemade dip tank (PVC example), and more by product to get rid of.

As mentioned before water and simple green worked in degreasing but swelled the wood. I tried it once and didn’t like the results.
    Last edited by p246; 04-07-2018 at 09:02.