Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Revolver vs. Pistol for CCW

This is not a revolver vs. pistol argument, it is what you can do with it that counts. For years I carried a HK USPC .40 with a laser. I carried it in a IWB holster or loose in my jeans pocket The problem was that being handicapped, I was never going to win a quick draw contest. Somebody asked me could I shoot the HK while it was still in my jeans pocket. So, I tried it and yes you can fire one round... but that is about it. I bought a S&W 838 .38 special and it will fire all 5 rounds while still in the pocket.

What is best for you me not be the best for you. The little S&W in my jeans is a no brainer. I recently lost 50 pounds and had some jeans I was never going to wear again. I practiced with a 7 yard torso target. I can get 5 hits center mass and the pistol never leaves my pocket...

The HK USPC is a world class pistol... The S&W 838 is just a reliable easy to carry piece.
    Last edited by RED; 07-20-2017 at 06:50.

I carry a S&W Model 60 in my jeans pocket. I can put one in the center at 7 yds much quicker than I can with my Sig from a holster. And, there is no brass to police if you have to fire in a compromising situation. Regards, Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Howard View Post
    I carry a S&W Model 60 in my jeans pocket. I can put one in the center at 7 yds much quicker than I can with my Sig from a holster. And, there is no brass to police if you have to fire in a compromising situation. Regards, Clark
    I'm on the same page with you. I carry a Rossi M88 stainless. Tit for tat very similar to the Smith at a lesser price and are surprisingly accurate along with no large adjustable rear sight to catch on a holster or pocket. I own 4 of them and one Taurus 85 Ultra-Lite. I will not carry or trust ANY auto pistol for self defense, not even a 1911 (which I have 8 of). I will get a lot of flak from the devoted Glock and Sig owners but you are only halfway guaranteed one shot from an auto. After that they can and will eventually jam. A revolver is not going to jam period. If there is a misfire just pull the trigger again and go to the next cartridge. BTW I own Glocks too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Allen; 07-21-2017 at 01:38.

My preference has always been revolvers therefore they are second nature to me. Yes, I can get more used to an auto with practice, practice, practice, and I can handle most autos quite well. Under controlled circumstances. The revolver is second nature to me now, today.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Revolvers Can Jam, I saw this on the firing line. In the old day's cop's were notorious for not maintaining their pdw's. I have always used a shoulder holster @ first for my 1911 and now my Sig P220. It boils down to how much maintance is a shootest willing to do. It is easier to clear a round out of the chamber then a jammed cylinder.
    Sam

Very rare for revolver to 'jam', odds much higher with a semi! And then there is the safety issue.
    You can never go home again.

7. Default

Small Rock Island .38 snubbie revolver works for me. Fits and carries well in a IWB. Safety? Personally I think semi autos are safer, or at least easier to put in a safer condition. With an empty chamber and no magazine a semi is safe but I can insert a mag and rack a slide in a second or two if neeeded in an emergency.

Blog Entries

Question...what about the side blast from the cyclinder-barrel gap? I have always taught and demonstrated the side blast to students as to why they should not stand beside the revolver when it is fired. Now, shooting from a pocket...isn't that getting a little close for 'personal' comfort from lead shavings or scorched nickers?

Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post
    Question...what about the side blast from the cyclinder-barrel gap? I have always taught and demonstrated the side blast to students as to why they should not stand beside the revolver when it is fired. Now, shooting from a pocket...isn't that getting a little close for 'personal' comfort from lead shavings or scorched nickers?
    It's called burn your hide which never happens in the movies.
    Sam

10. Question

Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post
    Would depend on clothes as to how close the action actually is to the valuables . In practice I would assume one would wear some extra layers of protection . Never tried it from the pocket , just some thoughts on the subject . Used to be nothing but a revolver for me , finally in the 90's I tried some semi's , after getting used to them settled on a G-30 in a paddle holster , works pretty slick for me . Like it because it doesn't have any snag points and if time is allowed for an aimed shot these little pistols are incredibally accurate also with a G-21 magazine in it , it fits my hands really well .
    As for the wheel gun , still carry one now and then , for personal , a snubby 38 loaded with Federal 158gr HP semi wadcutter +P , also very accurate .
    I keep looking for a nice 44 special snubby , don't know why , just always wanted one .
    Kenneth
    Last edited by aintright; 07-22-2017 at 08:45.