Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Revolver vs. Pistol for CCW

This is not a revolver vs. pistol argument, it is what you can do with it that counts. For years I carried a HK USPC .40 with a laser. I carried it in a IWB holster or loose in my jeans pocket The problem was that being handicapped, I was never going to win a quick draw contest. Somebody asked me could I shoot the HK while it was still in my jeans pocket. So, I tried it and yes you can fire one round... but that is about it. I bought a S&W 838 .38 special and it will fire all 5 rounds while still in the pocket.

What is best for you me not be the best for you. The little S&W in my jeans is a no brainer. I recently lost 50 pounds and had some jeans I was never going to wear again. I practiced with a 7 yard torso target. I can get 5 hits center mass and the pistol never leaves my pocket...

The HK USPC is a world class pistol... The S&W 838 is just a reliable easy to carry piece.
    Last edited by RED; 07-20-2017 at 06:50.

I carry a S&W Model 60 in my jeans pocket. I can put one in the center at 7 yds much quicker than I can with my Sig from a holster. And, there is no brass to police if you have to fire in a compromising situation. Regards, Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Howard View Post
    I carry a S&W Model 60 in my jeans pocket. I can put one in the center at 7 yds much quicker than I can with my Sig from a holster. And, there is no brass to police if you have to fire in a compromising situation. Regards, Clark
    I'm on the same page with you. I carry a Rossi M88 stainless. Tit for tat very similar to the Smith at a lesser price and are surprisingly accurate along with no large adjustable rear sight to catch on a holster or pocket. I own 4 of them and one Taurus 85 Ultra-Lite. I will not carry or trust ANY auto pistol for self defense, not even a 1911 (which I have 8 of). I will get a lot of flak from the devoted Glock and Sig owners but you are only halfway guaranteed one shot from an auto. After that they can and will eventually jam. A revolver is not going to jam period. If there is a misfire just pull the trigger again and go to the next cartridge. BTW I own Glocks too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Allen; 07-21-2017 at 01:38.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Howard View Post
    When I was carrying, my piece was a S&W Chief's Special loaded with 200 gr round noses. Loved that gun. Wish I still had it.

My preference has always been revolvers therefore they are second nature to me. Yes, I can get more used to an auto with practice, practice, practice, and I can handle most autos quite well. Under controlled circumstances. The revolver is second nature to me now, today.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    My preference has always been revolvers therefore they are second nature to me. Yes, I can get more used to an auto with practice, practice, practice, and I can handle most autos quite well. Under controlled circumstances. The revolver is second nature to me now, today.

I go with the revolver any day.

jn

Revolvers Can Jam, I saw this on the firing line. In the old day's cop's were notorious for not maintaining their pdw's. I have always used a shoulder holster @ first for my 1911 and now my Sig P220. It boils down to how much maintance is a shootest willing to do. It is easier to clear a round out of the chamber then a jammed cylinder.
    Sam

Very rare for revolver to 'jam', odds much higher with a semi! And then there is the safety issue.
    You can never go home again.

9. Default

Small Rock Island .38 snubbie revolver works for me. Fits and carries well in a IWB. Safety? Personally I think semi autos are safer, or at least easier to put in a safer condition. With an empty chamber and no magazine a semi is safe but I can insert a mag and rack a slide in a second or two if neeeded in an emergency.

Blog Entries

Question...what about the side blast from the cyclinder-barrel gap? I have always taught and demonstrated the side blast to students as to why they should not stand beside the revolver when it is fired. Now, shooting from a pocket...isn't that getting a little close for 'personal' comfort from lead shavings or scorched nickers?