Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Lever Action Rifle Preference

I am looking for opinions. I have the chance to buy one of two rifles, neither of which I am very familiar with. A Marlin 336 in 30-30, excellent condition, shiny bore with strong rifling. The other is a Savage 99 in .300 Savage, also excellent condition, shiny bore with strong rifling. The Marlin was made in 1953, the Savage in 1951.
    Condition almost identical...which is the more desirable ?
    Thank you

leftyo Guest

if you like pointy bullets the 99 is your winner, otherwise id go with what you find better looking.

My vote would be for the Savage however, they are both great rifles. The Marlin 336 is much more common whereas the Savage 99 is not and probably has more value.

I personally like the cut of the old Savage. Obsolete caliber but what the heck. I do know the newer Marlins are quite surprisingly accurate with scopes partly because they supposedly have these "micro groove" barrels. One of that era will likely not be drilled and tapped unless done post manufacture. Cannot speak for the collectibility of either one but just on esthetics I'd go for the Savage. Can't help but think Of old Teddy Roosevelt in his buckskins posing with one in that famous photo.

Speaking of old TR there is my FAVORITE lever gun: the 1895 Winchester,

I hate the older lever action Winchesters and Marlins. Accidents with the vintage actions are common. The requirement to jack a round into the chamber then lower the hammer seems to be a simple act but has cost numerous people their lives.

Ever heard of Drury Inns, the hotel people? Little Jimmy Drury and my son were great friends. We lived only a half block away. Jimmy's dad came home from a deer hunt one fall, removed the round in the chamber of the Marlin and put it back in the tube magazine and stood the rifle in a corner. 11 year old Jimmy saw the rifle and jacked the action and when no round was ejected, assumed the gun was empty. He tried to lower the hammer but his finger slipped and the gun went bang. The bullet went through the sheet rock wall and blew his 9 year old sisters head off.

I was at the Cape County Gun Club range one day when the President of the club showed up with his sons 12 - 15 years old. They each had Winchester 94's. One of the kids loaded his rifle and suddenly there was a "boom," about 3 feet from my ear. Yep his thumb slipped...

Why anybody would introduce these guns to children and ladies is a mystery to me. There is a reason the newer ones have a real safety on them...
    Last edited by RED; 07-14-2017 at 07:47.

6. Default

The Savage is the better rifle, but how is your source for .300 Savage ammo?

I'd go with the Savage. the .300 Savage is ballistically equivalent to the 30-40 and is way stronger than the 30-30. It's an elk gun, which the Marlin is probably not.

jn

8. Default

Have had both , but not in the 300 . My savage was 308 , it is one of those guns you can chalk up to be too young to realize what you had .
    It was very accurate and action slick .
    The 336 is pretty slick , not a big fan of the 30-30 but have taken deer and one bear with it and has been a favorite deer caliber in the east . The hammer thing can be helped by using a hammer spur . Some will actually shoot pretty darn good .
    The 99's are a bit more money , at least around here , if you reload ammo shouldn't be a problem , factory ammo might be spotty .
    Kenneth

Get 'em both! The 99 that I have in the safe at the moment is a 30-30, one of the carbines that they made. I'm dealing for a 38-55. I've got M94's in both of those chamberings, and a couple of 336's that are 30-30's.
    Granddad used an M94 rifle that he bought when he was 12 years old, in 1918, and used it until early 1941 when he bought his 99 Savage, it chambered to 300. He, and my Dad and uncle used those rifles to take deer, antelope, elk, moose, and every sort of varmint that they encountered robbing their potato, grain, and sugar beet crops.
    The 99's shoot really well, and most are already drilled and tapped for scope bases, and if they're not, usually all it takes is d/t the front ring. Depending on what vintage the Marlin is, it may or may not be drilled and tapped. Scoping either rifle increases the accuracy and ranging potential of both rifles.
    Neither rifle is going to be a "bean field" gun, but, will do the job well. Going over my notes, I realized that in 50 years hunting, I've yet to kill a game animal at more than 250 yards. My mule deer kills with 30-30 have been anywhere from 10 feet to 200 yards.
    My experience with the 300 is limited, but with good handloads, it is no slouch, approaching and nudging 308 Winchester performance. Good brass, dies, and a bit of caution when sizing and seating will help prevent collapsing the shoulder of the cartridge. The sharp shoulder and short neck can be problematic until you figure it out and get the dies adjusted right.

The .300 Savage cartridge is just below the .308 ballistic wise. Was always considered to be very accurate and capable of taking just about anything in the country except Brown or Grizzly bears. The .300 Savage is available and loaded by several ammo makers but it may be in the limited seasonal category now. If I was to buy the 99 or the 336 I would get the Savage 99 hands down.