Default S&W Model 41 Question

I have one of these excellent pistols and would like to find the date of manufacture. Is there some place where I can look this up without paying a fee? TIA

Post your Model 41's serial number on one or both of the below listed links and you're sure to get an answer.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...-auto-pistols/

http://www.smithandwessonforums.com/...pistols-forum/

3. Default

Or you might post it here. There is a S/N table in the back of the Standard Catalog of S&W.

Sid, provide us with the serial number of your Model 41 and I can look it up in my copy S&W's Standard Catalog. You can substitute the last 2 digits of the s/n with "XX" if privacy or security is a concern.

Thanks a lot guys. The serial number is 775XX.

Sid, afraid I'm not going to be much help here. Using both the SCSW, 3rd ed. and Roy Jinks' book, History of Smith & Wesson, the best I can do is narrow down your Model 41, Ser #775XX to be manufactured between Sep 1957 and Dec 1969.

In Aug 1963 the 5 1/2" bbl was introduced.

In 1965, the extended front sight was introduced.

1970 Begin "A" serial number prefix at A115001

Not really a lot to go on, is it? Hopefully someone else can chime in and further define your Model 41's date of manufacture

7. Default

About all I can add from the 4th edition is that your S/N is later than 1961 (and pre-1970 as stated above). That is based on a note in the book stating that in 1961 around S/N 27500 the location of the S/N was moved.

Thanks for the effort. All I can remember is that I bought it new sometime in the 1960's. Back in those days Bullseye shooting was a big thing in the Philadelphia area and I used the pistol for that. I still have it in the original box with all the accessories. It looks like new and I love shooting it.

Blog Entries

excellent pistols,

not sure why S&W has such a large block that is vague,, I had one that falls in that time frame as well