I live in an old English Tudor house that was built in 1930. We have hot water heat with radiators in all of the rooms When I moved here in the 1950's the heating system was not working properly because some of the original iron pipes were leaking. The plumber replaced all of the pipes with copper except for our living room. He just connected the new copper piping to the iron pipes in the living room. These pipes ran under the hardwood floor and wall to wall carpeting.

Now we have discovered a leak which is somewhere within the network of these old pipes. My new plumber discovered this when he turned the system on and water came spilling out onto our driveway. To replace this in the traditional way would involve ripping up the wall to wall carpeting and then ripping up the old oak floors. This would create a real mess and also be very expensive.

My own idea would be to shut off all the radiators in this room from the rest of the system which could easily done. Next to install a heat pump for just this one room.

Does this sound feasible? I would be interested in informed opinions. TIA