Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Campaign hat

1. Default

Sweatband markings, inc. contractor no., are exactly the same on mine--the one I made a valiant, but futile, attempt to make my regular outdoors hat.

Looking at it again, I'm impressed by the intelligence of whatever anonymous Quartermaster clerk thought it made good sense to call a hat a hat, as opposed to labeling it with a stupidly vague term like "cover." How many different kinds of "covers" would have been in the inventory of the QC? Covers for breech mechanisms, muzzles, sights, entrenching tools, mess-kits, and hundreds of other items for which only a generic term could be used, because there existed no more specialized term. But every language provides an unconfusing general term for an article of clothing worn on the head, and that term is "hat."

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Thanks Vern! Actually the hat with the blue infantry cord is the original hat that I had the USMC insignia on. That hat originally came with nothing on it.
    That hat that now has the Marine emblem on it was the one that came to me with the Blue Cord on it and the Army insignia that was also on it came with the brass disc that was behind the insignia. I'll just take the Army insignia off alltogether and leave the blue cord on it along with the brown leather strap attached to it.
    I like that hat better without the brass Army insignia on it anyway.
    Just having some fun with my two hats.
    You can find regimental crests online -- I have 61st Infantry crests (my regiment in Viet Nam).

Mine would be the 1/73rd Armor then. Hmmm...
    Guess I'd better replace that blue Infantry cord with a Cavalry yellow cord then.
    Last edited by Fred; 07-15-2017 at 09:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Mine would be the 1/73rd Armor then. Hmmm...
    Guess I'd better replace that blue Infantry cord with a Cavalry yellow cord then.
    Then you would need a yellow (cavalry) hat cord.