Thread: Campaign hat

1. Default

Here is a bit of history from Leatherneck Magazine:

October 17, 2005
    The Lore of the Corps
    DIs’ campaign cover symbolizes authority
    By Keith A. Milks
    Special to the Times

On the evening of April 8, 1956, Staff Sgt. Matthew McKeon, a drill instructor at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, S.C., led the 74 recruits of Training Platoon 71 into Ribbon Creek, a tidal marsh behind what are now the depot’s rifle ranges.

Unfortunately, the career Marine’s attempt to instill discipline in his recruits backfired as six young men drowned in the murky water.

What followed was a court-martial for McKeon and changes in training and operating standards. Another byproduct of the tragedy was the authorization for drill instructors to wear the campaign hat, or “Smokey Bear,” to serve as a symbol of authority for their recruits and prestige among their peers.

The Marine Corps’ adoption of the campaign cover for its drill instructors came nearly a century after the hat first gained acceptance with the U.S. military.

Campaign covers were initially black. In 1888, the Army introduced a brown variant; over time, the brim was widened and the center peak shortened.

The first Marines known to have worn the campaign cover were deployed to Cuba and the Philippines during the Spanish-American War of 1898. With war in these tropical regions looming, the Corps had requested a supply of hats from the Army and adopted the campaign hat as its own.

The field-expedient method of Marines “peaking” their hats, or making them more pointed at the top center to deflect rainwater, led to the adoption of the “Montana Peak” design in 1912. This four-dent crown cover is the version currently worn by Marines.

Leathernecks wore their campaign hats proudly throughout World War I. When World War II rolled around, the classification of felt as a critical war item, cost of manufacturing and need for a more practical field hat snatched the campaign cover from most Marines’ heads.

Shortly after the McKeon incident, Brig. Gen. Wallace M. Greene appropriated the necessary funds and contracted with J.B. Stetson Co. to purchase more than 600 campaign hats, which were distributed to drill instructors on July 21, 1956. Greene was commanding general of Recruit Training Command at the depot.

Five years later, the authorization to wear the campaign cover was extended to rifle and pistol team members and personnel permanently assigned to Marine ranges. Officers in such units wear the same cover as their enlisted comrades, but with a cord on the front brim — scarlet and gold for warrant and commissioned officers, and gold for general officers.

Both the Army and Air Force followed the Corps’ example by adopting the campaign hat for wear by their respective entry-level enlisted trainers. Army drill sergeants began wearing the hat in 1964, while some years later the Air Force adopted its distinctive blue campaign hat. The hat is also a favorite of law enforcement agencies across the United States.

In October 1996, after years of debate, female Marine drill instructors traded in the red cords worn to distinguish them as drill instructors for the campaign cover worn by their male counterparts.

The writer is a gunnery sergeant stationed at Camp Lejeune, N.C. He can be reached at kambtp@aol.com.

The Marine Corps’ adoption of the campaign cover for its drill instructors came nearly a century after the hat first gained acceptance with the U.S. military.
    The Campaign Hat was adopted by the Army about 1850, on the recommendation of Colonel William Hardee, based on experience in the Mexican War. It was called the "Hardee Hat," or the "Jeff Davis" hat after the Secretary of War who approved Hardee's recommendation. The version worn nowadays is the M1911 version.

At one time, the campaign hat was de riguer for outdoorsmen, but it has sadly fallen into disuse.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    At one time, the campaign hat was de riguer for outdoorsmen, but it has sadly fallen into disuse.
    They show up being worn by hunters & fishermen in hundreds of magazine cover and other sporting illustrations from around 1900 through the '30s. Unfortunately, they look better than they "wear," as I found out over the course of 2 or 3 years when I wore a GI issue dated 1944 (enlisted man's cheap wool felt) when fishing & hunting--it was heavy and uncomfortable (due to chemicals used to stiffen the felt) compared to what I usually wear, a soft fur felt fedora.

Actually, I think the best looking and most comfortable campaign-style hat was the Army's M1899, made of thinner, softer felt with a long fore & aft crease--which is the shape I steam into my own hats. In one of Fred's photos, there's a group of
    Krag-era soldiers sitting on a porch wearing this model.

IMG_0368.jpg One of my friends was working on the Missouri Pacific RR in the 70's and biggest decided to project the image of an old time railroader and tried wearing a campaign hat, but his friends gave him so much guff he gave it up.

I have worn one shooting in a CMP match with khaki jodhpurs and leggings but when I was actually shooting I switched to an overseas cap. That brim just gets in the way. Yes it IS a hot hat. But they do look cool. I did R. Lee Ermey one Halloween - maybe I can find that picture. Oh here it is...
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 07-14-2017 at 04:30.

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    Actually, I think the best looking and most comfortable campaign-style hat was the Army's M1899, made of thinner, softer felt with a long fore & aft crease--which is the shape I steam into my own hats. In one of Fred's photos, there's a group of
    Krag-era soldiers sitting on a porch wearing this model.
    I have one of those -- you can get reproductions from http://www.eureka-arsenal.com/

Last edited by Fred; 07-15-2017 at 07:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    The upper hat is incorrect. That's an enlisted man's hat (an infantryman -- you can tell by the blue cord.) The insignia is for an officer. It should have the regimental crest instead.

Thanks Vern! Actually the hat with the blue infantry cord is the original hat that I had the USMC insignia on. That hat originally came with nothing on it.
    That hat that now has the Marine emblem on it was the one that came to me with the Blue Cord on it and the Army insignia that was also on it came with the brass disc that was behind the insignia. I'll just take the Army insignia off alltogether and leave the blue cord on it along with the brown leather strap attached to it.
    I like that hat better without the brass Army insignia on it anyway.
    Just having some fun with my two hats.
    Last edited by Fred; 07-15-2017 at 08:06.