Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Campaign hat

IMG_4849.jpgYou can have them stretched by a good haberdasher. I bought mine in 1967 from PJ O'Hare for $5. My head has gotten bigger by close to a half size. A few years back I took it to Peters Bros. Hats in Ft. Worth and had it blocked, pressed, and stretched. I leave it on a shelf with plastic on it so it stays nice and flat. I must say that though I like the looks of them they are not the best for shooting prone or sitting. Today's Marines don't know that at one time everyone wore them, not just D. I.s.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 07-12-2017 at 02:43.

Looks good Griff!

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post
    IMG_4849.jpg I bought mine in 1967 from PJ O'Hare for $5...
    Wasn't aware Paddy was still doing business that late. I have a couple of his '30s catalogs, and campaign hats aren't even listed, although anything else you can imagine is. What he did offer was something much more practical for laying on your belly in the sun--a French Foreign-Legion type cap with neck-cloth.

Can get away with stretching half a size, but more than that distorts the shape of the brim.

Two good pix on front and back covers of the new GCA journal. Marines c. 1942 shooting M1s.

My buddy just sent this via Text...

Ha!!!

A soldier, a sailor, and a Marine were all on a float trip in the Amazon rain forest when they were surrounded and captured by cannibals. The chief cannibal told them, "Boys I've got good news and bad news. The bad news is you're all going to die, we are going to eat you, and we are going to use your skin to make our canoes. The good news is you get to choose how you will die."
    The soldier said, "I'm parachute infantry. There's only one way for me to die." So they took him up to a cliff where he shouted "airborne" and jumped to his death.
    The sailor said, "There's only one proper way for a sailor to die." So he had them tie a huge stone around his neck and toss him in the river. Just before he went under he shouted, "anchors aweigh!"
    Finally the Marine asked for a fork and shouted, "semper fi" while stabbing himself all over. The cannibal chief asked, "What the hell are you doing?" To which the Marine replied, "Fu*k your canoe!"
    Last edited by Fred; 07-13-2017 at 10:42.

6. Default

^ that was good

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Fred:

The emblem on the cover was issued for use from 1937 to 1955. Specific use was "Enlisted bronze cap and hat ornament from 1937-1942" and "Enlisted bronze cap ornament from 1942 to 1955".

Semper Fi,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post

A soldier, a sailor, and a Marine were all on a float trip in the Amazon rain forest when they were surrounded and captured by cannibals....

You reminded me of the Amazon girl who, for his birthday, gave her boyfriend a little head.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Turner/Turner Saddlery View Post
    Fred:

The emblem on the cover was issued for use from 1937 to 1955. Specific use was "Enlisted bronze cap and hat ornament from 1937-1942" and "Enlisted bronze cap ornament from 1942 to 1955".

Semper Fi,

Richard
    Thanks Richard!

My dad was issued a campaign hat at Army basic training in the fall of 1941. By the time he returned from Alaska, the campaign hat was only issued to the Calvary. When he was told he could not wear the hat, he had the hat cleaned, blocked and shipped home. Dad got rid of the hat when we moved in 1955.