Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marmots ?

Default Marmots ?

Do you have Marmots where you live.

This is a picture of one at our cabin.

A family decided to move in under the porch this year.

I hope they stay as they are suppose to keep the pack rats away.

KTK

Last edited by Ken The Kanuck; 07-05-2017 at 08:42.

leftyo Guest

dont have them ,but looking like a cross between a woodchuck and prarie dog, id shoot it.

If they are like any other type of squirrel they'll be chewing the insulation off of your electrical wires, digging up and eating the flower bulbs, digging holes all in the yard looking for grubs and nuts. You would be much better off with the rats. At least you can poison rats.

Wait until they discover all the tasty things on the car. You won't be driving it out of there.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Same as groundhogs that we have here. Considered a destructive pest!

I hunt them at a 330 acre farm in West Virginia. It is a cattle/beef farm, so the holes they make can be a problem for the herds. They seek out man-made structures in order to burrow under them, affording good cover overhead from weather and danger. They will literally undermine the foundation of a home, silo, whatever. There is no restricted hunting season on them in WV, for they are considered pests. Take as many as you want. If I wanted to get rid of them entirely, I would try poison. But, then again, without their presence I would not get invited back to the farm!
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

The cabin is built on rubble from the mountain behind it. There is no dirt to burrow into. So far no damage, the pack rats stink and make a mess. The Marmots are winning this popularity contest.

KTK

8. Default

Cedar oil, lavender oil, peppermint oil will keep them away from the wiring on your car.

Auto parts suppliers went eco a decade ago, using corn based plastics as opposed to petroleum based. Yummy! As far as keeping the pack rats away, get a ferret.

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
    Cedar oil, lavender oil, peppermint oil will keep them away from the wiring on your car.

Auto parts suppliers went eco a decade ago, using corn based plastics as opposed to petroleum based. Yummy! As far as keeping the pack rats away, get a ferret.
    Hi Barretcreek,

I had a girlfriend years ago and she had a ferret, it smelled worse than a pack rat.

KTK

A marmot and ground hog are the same critter. They'll dig den holes everywhere, including under the buildings that undermines the foundations and will eat any vegetable garden right to the ground.
    "...no dirt to burrow into..." A pile of rocks will suit a ground hog nicely. They'll dig under rocks.
    As I recall, B.C. has one type called a Hoary Marmot that is considered endangered and is protected by law. Wouldn't count on a giant tree rat keeping their rat cousins away though.
    "...would try poison..." Illegal. A tube connected to one's engine exhaust on the other hand kills 'em in their beds away down deep.
    Spelling and grammar count!