1. Default Need information on reloading for origional model 1873 Winchester DOM 1894

I purchased a model 1873 Winchester that according to the serial # was manufactured in 1894. Caliber is 38-40. I know some has shot smokeless loads in these rifles w/o problems. Even factory ammo if you can fine it is loaded with smokeless. However I think it may be safer to load black powder. Would the Lyman black powder reloading book be a good source for the above? I have been reloading with smokeless powders for close to 30 years in many other rifles and pistols. The only experience I have with BP is with a CVA percussion muzzle loader in 50 cal. many years ago. I contacted Hodgden and they said they would not recommend I use Pyrodex because it may give higher pressures then BP and because my 1873 was proofed with BP. I most likely will be using cast bullets that I can purchase because I am not set up for casting. Before I do set up for casting I would like to know what works. On cast bullets is there only certain lubes that will work with BP? Any sources you could recommend will be much appreciated. Thanks

parrirc

Parr, real BP is the stuff to use. I think the Swiss is pretty decent. I've used Pyrodex and Goex and don't much like them. Admittedly, that's in a larger capacity shell than the 38-40. You can stuff the case full, then mash the powder down when you seat the bullet. You will definitely want a softer bullet than the cast ones you buy at the gun shop. 20-1 lead to tin is usually pretty good.

Some people (myself included) have, in our misguided youth, shot smokeless loads in a black powder gun. It can be done, but why?

Good luck

jn

I've never understood why people would wish to shoot
    smokeless in a BP firearm. BPs big cloud of blue smoke
    is half the fun, and much kinder to a valuable rifle.
    Swiss is fine if you're shooting competition, but if not
    any 2F will do fine. (maybe not Elephant, although it
    has an attractive tin can)
    Oh, that's right it's all plastic containers now.
    The 73 is a beauty.

It's easy to understand. Some people don't care for the fouling and the mess. Couple that with a fear of rust for those who can't clean right away.
    Ranges don't allow it. Being tired after a long day and maybe a long drive home, people don't want to deal with it right off. Most apartment dwellers simply don't have a place to clean it without drawing unwanted attention from too many neighbors. A bucket of water in the parking lot (or laundry room sink) and a firearm, is a recipe for an unwelcome visit.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

As JB said, the cleanup is a mess. I shot muzzleloading rifle for years, but I could pull the barrel out of the stock, pull the nipple, set the barrel in a bucket of hot water and clean it with a tight patch on a cleaning rod. Cleaning the Model 1873 is not so easy. Have shot low pressure smokeless loads in 1873's for years with no problems, plus very accurate. The most accurate bullet I shot in an 1873 was a semi-wadcutter pistol bullet. Wouldn't feed into the barrel reliably, so just loaded it single shot.

6. Default

Always thought modern smokeless burns too hot and generates too much pressure for BP guns. The complications of cleaning BP are "greatly exaggerated" IMHO, re-enactors use either the 3-in-1 compound of peroxide, denatured alcohol and Murphy's Oil Soap or automobile window washer fluid with good results.