Aligater Guest

Default New Front Sight .....Awesome

I was drafted in 1953. I had no skills so they just assigned me to and infantry division. I thought the M1 was great, but I couldn't hit much with a carbine and neither could anyone else. Anyway, when I got out, I bought one in 1963 from the DCM......couldn't hit anything with that one either, but I kept it all these years just because I liked it.......It shot about a foot high at 25 yards....some folks on this forum suggested that I "get a new front sight. " So, I recently sent it to Orion 7 and got it back last week....with the "sergeant" overhaul and the new front sight, it cost like hell,...but OMG it was worth it.....I did not know, even after all these years that a carbine could put three shots in a two inch group at 25 yards. i did that today time after time..... Most shooters are much steadier than I and have better eyes (I'm 84) so I expect that it has a much better capability than that.......anyway, I think I'm gonna' have a lot of fun with it now and no beer can is safe in Broward county now.....thanks Orion 7.

Bruce

The US military went to the time and expense to bring all the carbines up to the latest type post WW2. Well the adjustable rear sight was adjustable so they could not see a need to replace the front sights. The front sights had been filled down and regulated to the original flip sights but the new sights sat up higher in the dove tail making sighting in difficult at best with many of the carbines. Putting a higher front sight on now made them very shootable as you found out. But anyway one looks at it they are fun to shoot.