Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Very nice! Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    Getting mostly Bula Defense Systems parts set out for new build. TRW heeled Bula receiver. Front and rear sights along with muzzle device and stock are USGI.

Semper Fi
    Art
    Doesn't cutting off the heel of the receiver compromise it's strength??

Shouldn't make a difference. Most of the shock of firing is absorbed by the front bolt locking lugs and op rod spring. Any remaining force left when the bolt raps the heel of the receiver "should not be a problem" as long as the weld is done properly.
    I have about 1500 rnds through one that I built a couple of years ago and she is still a happy camper.
    Now, if I get a flying bolt and receiver heel fragments in my right cheek tomorrow, I may have a different report.
    Art

Art, having worked in a naval shipyard and known a good number of nuclear and non-nuclear weldors and fitters over the years, it is my understanding that a properly done weld is much stronger than the surrounding base metal. Of course for any real critical welding job, non-magnetic, particle testing was performed before the item was put to use. I would also think that for liability issues, the company you're dealing with has had an engineer and/or metallurgist examine the receivers for strength and integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Oyaji View Post
    Art, having worked in a naval shipyard and known a good number of nuclear and non-nuclear weldors and fitters over the years, it is my understanding that a properly done weld is much stronger than the surrounding base metal. Of course for any real critical welding job, non-magnetic, particle testing was performed before the item was put to use. I would also think that for liability issues, the company you're dealing with has had an engineer and/or metallurgist examine the receivers for strength and integrity.
    They sure have. James River Armory knows what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    They sure have. James River Armory knows what they are doing.
    Figured as much.

Thanks.