Default July 2, 1863............

Charge of the 20th Maine at Little Round Top:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL-5uyp44WA
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

My grandmother's grandfather, who was with the 20th Georgia Infantry, was captured on that day. He was sent to an island prison in the Delaware River, where he died in October of that year. The family was not aware of the location of the prison. I found the record of his capture and incarceration, then I visited the place in 1999. I viewed the entry of his arrival and death in the prison log book, with the help of the park ranger. There is an imposing monument to the dead. Almost as many guards as prisoners died there. Regards, Clark

3. Default

20th Maine led by Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain who is currently the darling of the Army War College because of his leadership of basically rag-tag, somewhat malcontents resulting in his award of the CMOH. Prior to the war, Chamberlain was a professor at Bowdoin College to which he returned as its president. Later, he served as the governor of Maine. He was truly the epitome of the citizen soldier.

Only problem with the Roundtop is the wrong people got there. Would have been better for all concerned if the folks up north had gone their way and the folks down south had gone their way. They could have had fun dealing with the northeastern liberals. And we could have had fun without them. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Howard View Post
    My grandmother's grandfather, who was with the 20th Georgia Infantry, was captured on that day. He was sent to an island prison in the Delaware River, where he died in October of that year. The family was not aware of the location of the prison. I found the record of his capture and incarceration, then I visited the place in 1999. I viewed the entry of his arrival and death in the prison log book, with the help of the park ranger. There is an imposing monument to the dead. Almost as many guards as prisoners died there. Regards, Clark
    My Grandmother's uncle was captured on Culp's Hill on the same day. He ended up in the Union prison camp in Elmira N.Y. He survived but only just.