1. Default 1903 National match special target question...

What would be the correct bolt for a NM special target from 1928..My understanding is that it is a rebuilt rifle with service style parts and a star gauged barrel..Any help would be appreciated...Thanks, Mike

I believe that there are TWO different types of Special Target Rifles. The first and harder to find type was originally made as such, that being a service type rifle with the star gauged barrel. There are certain date an serial number ranges. Brophy's book has a listing for these, and off the top of my head I think that there were made in 1925- 1927 or there abouts. There is a second type which is a national match rebuilt rifle. which I believe were made after the first type as they were not made new. Check Brophy's book for verification. Ken

3. Default

I believe it is the second type with the national match parts removed, the bolt is AWOL and was wondering if it was polished or parked and what code would be correct...

A serial number would be extremely helpful in answering your inquiry concerning a Special Target rifle.
    Respectfully
    Ed Byrns

5. Default

, star gauged barrel 3/28 with star gauge number G 1942, boxed DAL, polished rails and follower, not drilled for lyman, coarse checkered butt plate with trapdoor, serrated trigger, and I believe, a case colored cut off...
    Last edited by rockisle1903; 05-02-2019 at 10:57.

J6 WLK3 or early N.S. with small gas hole.
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by chuckindenver View Post
    J6 WLK3 or early N.S. with small gas hole.
    Thanks, just the info I was looking for

The original bolt in the receiver was marked "WL/3" atop the handle in two lines. A bolt contemporary with the 3-28 re-barrel would be marked "J 5" atop the handle. So either bolt can be considered correct. And all National Match bolts were left in-the-white, i.e., unfinished. Follow the link:

http://www.vishooter.net/slc7_2008.html

J.B.