Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I've never had my Sporter (1344166, 6-30) out of the wood, but am amazed that it would only be the top of the receiver which was radiused. Are you sure that is right? Much harder to do just the top, whereas a couple of seconds in a lathe would do a perfect job all around. Also, that looks more like a chamfer or bevel. Mine is actually a smooth radius.

2. Default

You know what they say about a picture, and it is this way on both sides. This one letters as a Sporter.

3. Default

John Beard, over on the CMP forums, was able to trace the star gauge code on the barrel and confirm that this is an authentic NRA Sporter.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....58#post1617258
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

4. Default

Whether the barrel was original to the receiver or not it would have a star gage record number. I have a new (1938) replacement Sporter barrel with the star gage record number and card. The Sporter barrel is easily recognized by it's slightly heavier contour.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Whether the barrel was original to the receiver or not it would have a star gage record number. I have a new (1938) replacement Sporter barrel with the star gage record number and card. The Sporter barrel is easily recognized by it's slightly heavier contour.
    Apparently when the star gauge barrel was mounted by the armory to a receiver, the serial number of the receiver and the type of rifle (NM, Sporter,etc) was noted on the star gauge record card. What information, other then the barrel internal measurements, are noted on the card for your replacement barrel?

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
    Apparently when the star gauge barrel was mounted by the armory to a receiver, the serial number of the receiver and the type of rifle (NM, Sporter,etc) was noted on the star gauge record card. What information, other then the barrel internal measurements, are noted on the card for your replacement barrel?
    I have posted this previously, but for those that haven't seen it. Have the shipping tube with the Springfield Armory marked tape.

7. Default

Thanks, Johnny