Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default 1903 NRA Springfield Sporter...or Nationa Match rifle

A few weeks ago I won a Springfield Sporter style rifle at an auction. I got it pretty cheap and was encouraged by the fact that it is listed on the Springfield Research Service data base...but as a NM model. It is strange, however, because dozens of rifles before this one and dozens after, all consecutive serials, are listed as Sporters.

I'm guessing that the data base is off or that a buyer converted a NM model to a sporter configuration.

Description advised a serial number of 1266801 and a "Star Crown".

...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

2. Default

If the front of the receiver ring is rounded instead of sharp, and the rear of the barrel does not have the rear sight fixed base pin detent, it is and was built as a NRA Sporter.

Default Looks just like my "sporter"

SA# 1266801 was sold as a NM rifle thru the DCM program.
    Respectfully submitted
    Ed Byrns

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by m1903rifle View Post
    If the front of the receiver ring is rounded instead of sharp, and the rear of the barrel does not have the rear sight fixed base pin detent, it is and was built as a NRA Sporter.
    When the rifle arrived at my FFL, I got a chance to give it a quick once over before it went into the safe for the obligatory 10 day "cooling off" period.

I could not find any indexing groove on the barrel for a normal 1903 rear sight and the barrel seemed to be slightly different in profile to my 1903 military profile barrels. It does have the star gauge on the crown.

Bore is shiny and sharp and gauges about a "0" on the CMP muzzle gauge. Barrel is dated 5-25

Bluing is in very good condition, except a bit faded on the floor plate.

There is a circle P cartouche on the bottom of the pistol grip, and the stock appears to be in good shape and solid.

The striker and cocking piece of the bolt is bright blue. The bolt body is parkerized, marked "J 5" on the safety lug and has a punch mark on the underside on the bolt handle at the root.
    I grabbed a few pictures...

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    More pics! More pics!

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Byrns View Post
    SA# 1266801 was sold as a NM rifle thru the DCM program.
    Respectfully submitted
    Ed Byrns
    I'm forced to conclude that someone bought a National Match rifle and converted it to Springfield sporter configuration.

It should be a good shooter and I didn't pay too much for it.

8. Default

Does the front of the receiver ring have a slight radius?

9. Default

I do not think so, but I will be taking it out of the stock soon to check for any numbers on the underside of the barrel.

Would the radiusing be obvious?

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by m1903rifle View Post
    Does the front of the receiver ring have a slight radius?

I've looked it over more closely...it is possible the upper half of the receiver ring has been radiused.

Here are a few more pics.

The reason that I allow that it might have a radiused receiver ring is this...here are a few pics of a documented Sporter's receiver ring...

Here is my receiver ring...

Seems similar to me. what do you think?