Default Elk Hunting 2017

Well the Oregon controlled hunt draw is out and I didn't get any. Looks like it will be Idaho with my brother or Montana. BudT has been promoting MT as a hunt and I may go with it. It's expensive but the NR tag gets you a deer and an elk & some other stuff I guess. My brother likes to hunt the Lolo Zone which was elk central at one tim but is now an elk-free zone. But I like hunting with family, even if I don't get so much as a grouse. BudT is pretty persuaive about Montana aND i'M THINKING more and more that's the way to go.

jn

I was lucky this year here in Az. Haven't been drawn for a long time and got a bull elk tag for the first week in December. I usually hunt them with my good old Rem 700lh 30-06 but I bought a Marlin guide gun in 45-70 for this hunt. I'll probably alternate days hunting with them. Hope it isn't too cold and stormy up north that week. Put in for deer too but the draw isn't for awhile yet.

We missed on our Moose and Elk LEH's so we will have to travel north to where there is an open season if we want to harvest a mature animal.

Immature moose are open near the cabin so we will carry a moose tag just in case we run across one. I have never seen one in hunting season yet, but who knows.

I did get a draw for an anterless muley so there should be some sausage this Christmas. We also have an open season for muley bucks and White tail.

Good luck to all.

KTK

Good luck wherever you land

They are talking about shooting elk in some zones until next February.

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/seasons/elkShoulder/
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

Quote Originally Posted by BudT View Post
    They are talking about shooting elk in some zones until next February.

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/seasons/elkShoulder/

As I read it you get to hunt the shoulder on your general tag, right? I gotta tell my brother about that!

jn

7. Default

Remus,

How long did it take you to draw? When I was chasing a woman lives N. Maricopa Co. the hunting regs made me want to stay in CO.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    As I read it you get to hunt the shoulder on your general tag, right? I gotta tell my brother about that!

jn
    I would call them and talk to someone in the know, try the HQ in Helena or look on their web page and get a Region number and call. It extends the season a lot. A lot of the zones allow brow time bull or cow calf on the tag but you have to check which zones as some allow brow tine bulls only unless you draw the permit for a cow. Those permits are only good in the specified zone. As a example if I hunted the Blacktail I could shoot brow tine bulls cow or calf on my bull tag. You have to research the regs carefully. I would not drag my heels on any of this as they are almost sold out of the surplus non resident tags and the drawing application dates expired today, results will be coming out soon. I put in for a either sex antelope tag, I have never seen so many big buck antelope as I have this year, someone gonna shoot several B&C book goats this coming season.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

Default Antelope hunting

Had enough preference points and finally got a California antelope tag last year. Never bothered to apply for a elk tag all these years, don't have room for another freezer!