Thread: Faster 9MM

1. Default Faster 9MM

Hello all, A question about ammo is on my mind. Most of the "low price" 9 mm ammo seems about the same to me. Same 1100 feet per second and about the same 325 ft. lbs. energy. Most makers selling the minimum specs for function and reliability. I am talking about Magtech, Armscor, Win white box, Blazer Brass ect. Then I look at the Sellier & Bellot 9mm that shows almost 1300 FPS and over 400 Ft. lbs. energy. So for the same price why would I NOT want to shoot the faster ammo? Would this not be closer than the other brands to a good type of home defense ammo? Would it not make better practice ammo than the slower stuff? I have looked for SAAMI specs and can't find if the S&B ammo would be considered +P ammo. I don't know if this is considered NATO spec 9mm ammo. Only thing I found was a statement that the European ammo is generally a "little hotter" than other ammo. For home defense I use a top brand of hollow points. Any info, thoughts or Ideas are welcome.
    Thanks

Here is a 9mm ballistics chart that may help.

http://www.ballistics101.com/9mm.php

Some pistols shoot better with certain types of ammunition. The fastest/slowest, heaviest/lightest or most powerful may not work well in a certain pistol. For the best performance in your pistol, try many different cartridges until you find a cartridge that does what you expect. For plinking etc. the S&B will probably work fine. I would not be too concerned over the speed/energy difference because there is little practical difference.

"...+P..." Is about pressure, not velocity. However, Sellier & Bellot operates on CIP specs, not SAAMI. That'd be 34,100 PSI vs 36,500 PSI for NATO Spec ammo and 35,001 PSI for SAAAMI. SAAMI spec for 9mm +P is 38,500 PSI.
    Anyway, velocity is not as important as accuracy. Your pistol may or may not shoot higher velocity ammo better. Only way to find out is to try some. Oh and Federal 115 grain ammo runs 1150 or 1180 fps and they have their Guard Dog brand with a 105 grain bullet that rubs 1230 fps. Winchester 115 grain JHP's run 1225 fps.
    If you're not reloading, you need to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your pistol shoots best.
    Sellier & Bellot and Magtech are owned by the same company.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Faster does not equate to better and JHP don't always work as advertised. Yes, I am well familiar with the specs of the 9mm in flight but I am more interested in what the projectile does when it hits. Ballistic gel is a good thing to look @ but there is more to stopping power then projectile design and fps. If the actor is high on a substance and often will not react as one would think. Personally for a PDW .40 is minimum at least. If I was stuck with a 9mm PDW I favor the Lawman series of ammo or my own loading. From personal experience I favor the Uzi as minimum for a 9mm with the MP-5 coming in a close 2nd and the MP-40 is fun! In my 50 years of shooting/training/reloading and extensive reading/personal experience the .355 diameter in a pistol caliber is not high on my list. Yes, I know it kills just not efficiently compared to a .40 or larger. The .357 Magnum is efficient in what it needs to do with the projectile used, same for the .41/.44 magnum. I like to plink with my .357 but will use my .44 mag for serious social intercourse or my .45ACP.
    Sam

In the German Luger world, 9mm pistols (and 7.65) are finicky about ammo and bullet design. Some pistols will shoot anything while others will function only with certain ammo/bullet design. My lugers shoot anything so I'm very happy with that.