Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I have a Dodge Dakota that gets about 3K miles/year on its 4.7L V8. I use Mobil-1 for it's anti-sludge properties and change the oil once/year.
    Last edited by togor; 07-08-2017 at 05:30.

Blog Entries

At around 200,000 miles, I decided to heck with frequent oil changes. Money saved on that is best put to a new engine or vehicle. Now I have 319,000 miles on it and have never been inside the engine, 1999 F150 5.4L. If it blows up tomorrow, I can't fault it.

The key is to get the oil hot by driving more than 10 miles in a trip. That boils off the crankcase condensation from shutdown that mixes with the oil making acids. I just top it off.

Ya pays your money and takes your chances!
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    At around 200,000 miles, I decided to heck with frequent oil changes. Money saved on that is best put to a new engine or vehicle. Now I have 319,000 miles on it and have never been inside the engine, 1999 F150 5.4L. If it blows up tomorrow, I can't fault it.

The key is to get the oil hot by driving more than 10 miles in a trip. That boils off the crankcase condensation from shutdown that mixes with the oil making acids. I just top it off.

Ya pays your money and takes your chances!
    I agree with you limiting the money you spend on an older vehicle. You already have the miles on the truck that many vehicles will never reach.

My brothers friend purchased a low mileage (30,000 or so miles), one owner, 10 year old 1957 Pontiac station wagon. The old woman he purchased it from never changed the oil. She only had the gas station attendant add oil as needed. When we took of the valve covers off, there was so much crud in the engine it was solid and you could barely see the rocker arms.

Newer cars just do not make sludge like that any more! But I still change oil & filters according to manufacturers recommendation! They know what they are doing and you will not go wrong doing what they recommend!
    You can never go home again.

My Jeep just turned over 374,000 miles with an oil change @ 4,000 miles. Living in the country I do a minimum of 20 miles per trip, often more.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Newer cars just do not make sludge like that any more! But I still change oil & filters according to manufacturers recommendation! They know what they are doing and you will not go wrong doing what they recommend!
    In the 50s non-detergent oil was readily available because poured Babbitt bearings were common in engines. Today's lubricants and manufacturing techniques are far superior to those of the last century. Today's vehicles are capable of over 100,000 miles with little maintenance and over 200,000-300,000 miles with normal maintenance.

To clean the Pontiac we used fuel oil to clean the rocker arms, added a quart of fuel oil, removed the oil filter, let the car idle for a while, and changed to detergent oil with a new filter. The next weekend the oil and filter were changed again. After that the oil and filter were changed when the oil got black. The only noticeable damage was a noisy valve train.
    Last edited by gwp; 07-09-2017 at 03:33.

I was in Lowes looking at trimmers and they have a wheel type trimmer with a Briggs engine and they advertise never change the oil again just check and add.
    https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na...k-and-add.html

My 2017 Jeep bought last Oct just passed 5k miles, My computer says there is 42% oil life remaining, I will change when the computer says to.

My 2017 Toyota Tundra guide says to change 0-20 synthetic oil every 10k along with the filter.

Wife's Mini Cooper gets changed once a year based on time. The computer never calls for a change before that. Full synthetic. Older cars with carb's are different. My collector cars I still change once a year with very few miles just because it makes me feel more comfortable.