Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Oil Change Once a Year?

I was in Wally World and noticed a stack of Mobile 1 five qt jugs of super synthetic oil. It is labelled Mobile 1 Annual Protective synthetic 0-20 oil for those who want to extend oil change interval time.

Of course, the fine print said this oil is only to be used with the Mobile 1 special oil filter.

To you professional auto care persons, is there really an oil that can last for one year before changing?
    Last edited by tmark; 06-28-2017 at 07:42.

leftyo Guest

depends on mileage and conditions.

Blog Entries

Long interval changes have more to do with filtration.

Look into Amsoil synthetic.

For the last forty years, I have changed my engine oil at 7500 miles. Using quality oil, (not synthetic), and good filters with every change. I usually run an engine at least 225,000 miles before overhaul. No wear problems have been noted on tear-down. All crankshafts have been reused with simple polishing. Your mileage may vary. Regards, Clark

I use Mobil 1 and change my oil twice a year, well, the dealer does.

I believe when Mobile 1 was introduced it was advertised as 25,000 mile oil. The instructions on the jug was to change the oil filter and add a fresh quart of oil every 5,000 miles. I just changed oil every 10,000 miles. I was able to drive over 200,000 without engine problems on every vehicle using synthetic oil. I still use synthetic oil, but now that I have retired, I change oil every year at a very low mileage. The largest advantage I see with synthetics is preventing wear during cold starts especially on very cold days.

I always used SE graded detergent oil, 10-40 grade and changed it when it started looking dirty - opaque. Also changed air and fuel filters regularly. When I was a tribal official at Navajo Nation I typically drove over 30k miles a year on bad roads. I looked for good used cars and used them up pretty fast, but I never had engine problems and typically got 60-100K miles out of a car before selling it off at well over 200K. Changing oil is the cheapest thing you can do to extend the life of any vehicle.

I'm using a "synthetic blend" in my current vehicle, a low-mi9leage Kia Sportage I've had for about 30K miles. Don't see any benefit at all from it.

YMMV

jn

8. Default

Bought a brand new S-10 in '95, started using synthetic at 10k, c/o once a year, roughly 25K a year. When I got rid of it at 274K it still used a quart every 5 or 6K. Former boss bought his wife a 2003 Beemer. Factory called for first change at 15K. Porsche Boxter goes 100K between filter changes. Synthetic oils plus reduced sulfur in fuels means oil changes are way extended. Mineral oils oxidize before they break down from contamination. Big diesel industrial engines (100k h.p.) go forever with out changing their 30 tons of lube oil, but it is constantly purified.

I use an oil monitoring service on all my diesels.

Any synthetic motor oil is good for longer oil change intervals, that is its only advantage over an organic oil based product. If you go by the SAE rating there is no difference between a synthetic and any other oil with the same rating---except for how long you can use it. My car (a 08 Malibu) change oil lite comes on at about 80 thou. miles (twice a year for me) so there is no advantage to a synthetic for me. In a modern car I think a synthetic would be good for more then a year (average miles driving).
    I understand some manufacturers are now recommending synthetic, I would go by what they say! (for warranty, if no other reason)
    You can never go home again.

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

with a modern vehicle with FUEL injection, your fuel is metered so well that you never rinse down your cylinder walls with gasoline like you would do with a carburetor, especially in a COLD climate like MN where the CHOKE would be on and really give you a rich mixture.
    If you are in a very cold climate and drive SHORT mileage trips (the motor NEVER gets up to operating temps), I'd change it due to condensation. Otherwise, you are good to go.
    Personally, I change mine every 5K miles. I figure 20 oil changes (100,000 miles worth) is less then what a new motor costs.
    Besides, I like being "a GLOBAL WARMER" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!