Otis Gun Care
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Why is it taking so long to defeat ISIS ? ...

Apples and oranges. We occupied Germany because aside from 1930's/European long standing politics, the Germans are intelligent and wonderful people. We were protecting them and the rest of Europe. Five minutes after the end of WWII it was over. Nothing at all like the weird situation in the east. That stuff never ends. -the unexpected happened- If anyone thought after a five minute slaughter of Iraqis they were going to embrace democracy and be normal, have a little more medical marijuana. If the -unexpected- hadn't happened I'd have been amazed.
    Last edited by dryheat; 06-29-2017 at 07:11.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

When visiting Old Ironsides some years ago I picked up in the NPS gift shop a book (and CD) of photos of posters from both world wars. Patriotic stuff for production, victory gardens, etc. And Bond Dives. Heard of those? That's how we paid for those wars. Getting the public to buy the bonds required a lot of people to get involved selling the war. Hollywood types, war heroes, politicians. To do what Vern suggests will, in my opinion, require an expression of national will that is bigger than what we've seen since before the Iraq war.

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    Apples and oranges. We occupied Germany because aside from 1930's/European long standing politics, the Germans are intelligent and wonderful people. We were protecting them and the rest of Europe. Five minutes after the end of WWII it was over. Nothing at all like the weird situation in the east. That stuff never ends. -the unexpected happened- If anyone thought after a five minute slaughter of Iraqis they were going to embrace democracy and be normal, have a little more medical marijuana. If the -unexpected- hadn't happened I'd have been amazed.
    Which is why we should have kept boots on the ground, as we did in Germany, until we were SURE of the situation.

We don't have that kind of military anymore. The brass doesn't want lots of boots. And draftees? You might as well offer them horses while you're at it.