Turner Slings
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why is it taking so long to defeat ISIS ? ...

Default Why is it taking so long to defeat ISIS ? ...

They don't have a Navy, nor do they have an Air Force,
    and they have only a handful of tanks.
    Their major form of transport is the Toyota pick up truck,
    and their weapons are basically what are termed "small arms".
    So why is it that the combined might of the USA, Russia,
    Great Britain, France and a host of other militaries have
    not been able to rout what is more or less a makeshift
    band of cutthroats ?
    We've been battling them since the official start of hostilities
    in 2011 when Bush declared war on them. So far,it's taken
    as long as it took the same militaries to defeat Nazi Germany,
    and still it's going on with no end in sight. I refer to the land
    battles not the individual terrorist attacks - a different war
    which will require different tactics.
    I realize we're trying to not kill civilians this time, but even so ...

It's taking so long to defeat them because we have not yet begun to fight!

To see what went wrong, look at WWII. In WWII, we had no "exit strategy" -- our goal was Unconditional Surrender, and we planned to impose Military Rule on Germany until WE decided they could be trusted. And although we signed a Peace Treaty with Germany in the mid-50s, we're STILL there, albeit as allies, not as conquerors.

This had a great, unanticipated pay-off -- when Soviet Imperialism appeared, and Russia gobbled up the nations of Eastern Europe, they were stopped by the US presence in Germany -- so France, England and the Low Countries (and other nations) did not fall to Communism.

Contrast this with Iraq, where Hillary failed to negotiate a Status of Forces agreement, and ISIS moved into the vacuum. And since it was Buggins' Turn, our President declared ISIS the "junior varsity" and sat on his thumb while they grew stronger and stronger.

We'll never beat them, or any other version of ISIS.

We won't win until the liberals stop whining and let our guys do their jobs. "Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out"/ "We came, we saw, we kicked ass". Over and done with in a month or so. Then come home and bitch slap the complainers. The left wing bleeding hearts have cost more American & Allied lives than it should have.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

The answer is in The Wasp a sci-fi book I read back in the 1950's. The thesis was that there was a bus traveling down the expressway when a tiny wasp stings the driver. He looses control and the bus crashes killing 14 people and injuring 16. The futuristic hero goes under cover and does little things like laying a spike on a railroad rail, deploying thousands of carpet tacks at a busy intersection, flushing a pound of carbide down the toilet at the train station The idea is that even a tiny wasp can cost many lives.

Fast forward... today a single radical can do huge damage and there is no defense. Unfortunately, they are now just fine tuning their tactics. As Dizzy Dean once said, "You ain't seen nothing yet."

6. Default

Fighting ISIS is like fighting crime. You're fighting a state of mind, not a formally organized opponent. Their mindset is totally alien to ours. A rough analogy is with the Japanese in WWII. Surrender was totally alien to them, dying in battle was The Noble Thing to Do. Though in the case of the Japanese, when we dropped The Bomb on them and they realized we had the means-and the will-to completely annihilate them......."A new and most cruel bomb..."
    Like fighting crime, we need to develop informants, human intel, offer incentives for them to surrender, etc. And convince the people they move among like fish in the water, to use Mao Tse Tung's analogy, that it is not in their interest to allow them to do so.
    Last edited by blackhawknj; 06-27-2017 at 04:59.

7. Default

In the movie Gardens of Stone two sergeants stationed at Arlington were discussing the "hostilities" in Vietnam. One was saying to the other how he just heard a US helicopter had landed with an arrow stuck in its side.

"How can we lose against an enemy thats using bow and arrows to attack helicopters ?" one asked

The other replied with....."How can you beat an enemy that would actually attack a helicopter with a bow and arrow ?"

In 1979 Russia invaded Afghanistan . With all their might they invaded a nation still largely armed with their great grandfathers flintlocks . Ultimately through Billions of US tax payers dollars the Russians retreated .

After the Russians left, and after Billions spent on arms Congress denied the request of a million dollars to build two schools in Afghanistan ...... and Charlie Wilson said ....

"We just never get it right "
    Last edited by Sandpebble; 06-27-2017 at 05:05.

Most every country including the U.S rolls out the red carpet for muzzies despite their track record. Now, when you are infiltrated with look-a-like dark skinned foreigners with or w/o a rag on their head but certainly a black mustache how do you tell friend from foe till they kill you or blow something up? Our forefathers would not only roll in their graves they would choose to stay in them if they only knew we actually allowed one to become president/commander in chief without any documentation of citizenship and elected him twice. Now, England with their enormous muslim problems elected one to become mayor of London. Perhaps the human race is trying to "stupid" themselves out of existence.

I guess I didn't make myself clear, although I thought I had,
    I'm talking about the actual land battles NOT their terrorist activities
    such as infilterating cities and blowing up shopping malls.
    In the Land Battles, our side has fighter jets, artillery, Aircraft Carriers,
    state of the art Battle Tanks, Satellites - the list goes on.
    The enemy - ISIS - has AK47s and a hodgepodge of IEDs and other
    homemade weaponry - and still we don't seem capable of winning.

Well, again, how do you tell friend from foe? What I see of them they don't wear uniforms that give their identity away. Often the U.S. is fighting side by side with other non ISIS muslims. Unless they are shooting at you how do you know who to shoot at till it's perhaps too late? They are scattered everywhere and can easily ambush a patrol or shoot down a helicopter w/o any warning. As far as our technology we don't want to use a multi-million dollar cruise missle and only kill a handful of them. They don't seem to conglomerate in large crowds and yell "here we are". They don't fight the traditional civil war fashion of charging into a crowd of enemy resistance using bayonets. Their acts are almost always terrorist activities and it's working for them. They attack those who are not expecting it.