Default Handguard Markings

Does any know what these handguard markings are? Appears to be "SA?" Not sure about that last letter. The rifle appears to be unfired - still has cosmoline in recesses.
    PS: It is a Remington.
    P5160006.jpg
    Last edited by cwbuff; 06-26-2017 at 02:44.
    "Man is not free unless government is limited." -- Ronald Reagan

There was only one M1917 manufacturer who stamped their maker's mark initial on the handguard's outside surface and that was an E for Eddystone and it only appeared on early rifles. Early Remington and Winchester handguards were stamped R and W on the inner surface. The initials SA? are not manufacturer's marks and were probably added later.

We always like seeing an unused M1917 so more photos of the entire rifle would be appreciated.

Are all parts Remington and do you plan to shoot it?

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Are all parts Remington and do you plan to shoot it?
    Yes All Remington and I will not shoot it. I don't even work the bolt. I have a Winchester that I have shot.

Here are a few pics of the Winchester...
    US M1917 Winchester - 22.jpgUS M1917 Winchester - 02.jpgUS M1917 Winchester - 06.jpgUS M1917 Winchester - 11.jpgUS M1917 Winchester - 01.jpg
    Last edited by cwbuff; 06-27-2017 at 01:49.

Thanks for sharing. Most antique gun collectors will never see a parts correct, possibly factory fresh Remington M1917. You probably add to the value of the rifle by not cycling the bolt or shooting it. Hopefully, someone will recognize the SA? mark on the handguard and offer you an accurate explanation as to its meaning thereby adding to the rifle's history. It's tempting to say it's related somehow to the Springfield Arsenal, but it could be something else.

The M1917 Winchester looks like it's also in great condition. Is it also parts correct?
    Last edited by Merc; 06-28-2017 at 02:26.

The only part on the Winchester that is not correct is an unmarked milled ejector. I assume the original broke at some time. I have read that this is not that unusual.

All three OEMs stamped the ejector with the initials E, R or W, so take a closer look to see if it's marked. Check out www.m1903.com under "M1917 Parts" for the location of OEM stampings. If there isn't a mark, then it could be a reproduction replacement. I just looked on eBay and there is a W stamped ejector for sale, if you're interested.

My M1917 Winchester originally had a W ejector that had a broken leaf spring. Someone installed a coil spring on it in place of the broken leaf spring. He simply drilled a small hole in the ejector and made a hook out of the last coil of the spring. It worked and was probably more reliable than the original. I found an original W stamped ejector on eBay but kept the modified one in case the leaf spring on the original breaks. Numrich once sold a non-original replacement ejector with a coil spring but it was sold out the last time I looked.
    Last edited by Merc; 06-28-2017 at 07:08.