1. Default Japanese Type 18 11mm bolt sction black powder cartridge rifle

Japanese Type 18 11mm bolt sction black powder cartridge rifle
    Here's my Japanese MURATA Type 18 bolt action rifle chambered in 11mm. This is the first bolt action rifle manufactured in Japan and was the precursor to the famous Arisakaicon rifle. It mostly matching numbers; bolt, receiver, barrel, rear sight and trigger guard all match. Stock still retains its cartouche. 32” barrel is very good with some surface wear; strong rifling remains. Rear ladder sight. Bore is good with some surface wear; strong rifling remains. Original cleaning rod intact. Matching numbers receiver shows same brown patina; Bolt action works smoothly and flawlessly. Bolt numbers match; Firing pin mechanism numbers do not. Trigger guard very good with matching numbers. The only numbers I see that do not match are on the middle barrel band. Full length stock remains quite attractive with shoulder stock cartouche. Small repaired crack left side along rear tang; barely noticeable. Original metal butt plate very good. Does anyone make brass for this rifle or have any reloading hints and can anyone translate the cartouche on the stock?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default

More details:

3. Default

and a few more:

San Clemente, Ca Within earshot of the sound of freedom from Camp Pendleton

VaR check your PMs
    Dean (the other one)
    OFC-Orange Co. Ca Chapter

Thanks for sharing Varifleman! I did not know these rifles existed and a great looking rifle too.

Years ago I owned a Peabody-Martini in 11mm Turkish made by Providence Tool. It had been remarked with Japanese characters as a "Murata Type 2" or something similar.
    My research showed that at the time Japan had bought a number of surplus breech loaders from Turkey and rather than rechambering them, they just changed the name of the cartridge being used......
    (I also had an 11mm Murata and an 8mm Murata. (The 8mm design was heavily influenced by the Mauser 11mm tube fed repeater.)
    Last edited by deadin; 07-03-2017 at 06:47.

7. Default

Actually, the Japanese Army bought P-Ms directly from the US as a stopgap measure while the factory began Murata production. These were rifles the Providence Tool Co. had withheld from Turkey because they weren't paid for. Thus, many had Turkish markings.

These were rifles the Providence Tool Co. had withheld from Turkey because they weren't paid for.
    That makes sense! I missed that when I was researching, but the information on these was pretty thin back when I owned the rifle.... Thanks!!

9. Default

Different, no two piece stock, strange for the Japanese.
    Steve
    The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson