Thread: No. 5 photos

Default No. 5 photos

I have recently opened the safe up and began shooting and cleaning some of my old rifles. I purchased this No. 5 several years ago.
    It was in pretty sad shape, so I got it for a steal. The receiver was drilled and tapped for a scope. The rear sight was missing.The finish was some combination of bad bluing and rust.
    The stock had been sanded to within an inch of its life, leaving the metal much higher than the wood. The handguard was missing. The butt end had been cut off square,
    and a recoil pad attached. It had certainly been butchered. I installed a cutdown rifle stock and handguard and installed the correct butt. I filled the holes where the receiver was drilled for a scope, and also replaced the rear sight (although it is not the carbine sight). I painted it with something resembling the factory finish (I think). I did all that work and then put it away, unfired. The past few days I pulled it out and put several rounds downrange. Was very pleased with the smoothness and accuracy. I expected recoil to be bad but it was no problem. This is a very nice, full power, but handy rifle package. A few photos follow:

DSC_3098.jpgDSC_3100.jpgDSC_3101.jpgDSC_3102.jpgDSC_3105.jpg
    Last edited by daveboy; 06-24-2017 at 05:11.

Nice, you did a good job on it Dave.

Nice work.

Thanks

Nice job bringing that one back. I too did't think the recoil on the No 5 Mk 1 I had was bad. If one thinks they have heavy recoil then I'll let them shoot one of my M95 Stery Carbines in 8 X 56R. I think I lost a filling shooting one of them last year.

The No 5 I have has never displayed the wonder zero issue, although it leads a pretty mud/ humid free life now.

Nice restoration. The original black metal coating that was applied to the metal parts was called Suncorite. It may still exist today in a much tamer formula. The original stuff was pretty wicked to those who had to work with it. My 1944 Savage No. 4 only had about 10% of the original Suncorite coating left.

8. Default

No.5 rifles are fun. Picked one up years ago. Bubba had it park'd and a glossy varnish. Removed the varnish, gentlty, and found a nice piece of wood with no markings-Are there supposed to be on stocks? Got a no drill scope mount and glassed it. I don't mind the recoil, but I told my buddies to maintain a 4" eye relief off the scope; some listened, others have a half moon scar over their right eye. A lot of fun!