1. Default Unknown cartridge box

I won a cartridge box at an auction and need help identifying it. I came with 16 Spencer 56 caliber rounds. It looks "home made" but is well made. It is about the same size as a McKeever pouch, but is made similar to a Civil War cartridge pouch with the tin insert. Any ideas? Did any of the Civil War carbines other than the Spencer use the 56 Spencer round? I will try to attach pictures.pouch-1 (640x480).jpgpouch-2 (640x480).jpgpouch-3 (640x480).jpgpouch-4 (640x480).jpgpouch-5 (640x480).jpg

Well, it's not in Roy Marcot's Spencer book. The tin tubes are reminiscent of the Blakeslee quickloaders. Sorry, that is the best I can do - neat box!

3. Default

Dick,
    Thanks for the reply. It's not in my area of interest. I was just trying to find some info on it before putting it up for sale.

4. Default

Hello m1903rifle-
    Some questions:
    What is the bottom finial (the knob) made of?
    What are the dimensions (diameter, length) of the tubes? It looks like the tubes are longer than the Spencer cartridge.

When & where will it be for sale?
    Last edited by Edatbeach; 06-25-2017 at 03:25.

With the fastener apparently made of lead or steel, many would say there is a chance it could be "southern" made for the war. That is a possibility. The design is similar to some made as Pistol Cartridge boxes during the war. The inserts are, i'm guessing, made after the war from the tin inserts common in the infantry boxes of the period, altered for 50-70 cartridges - perhaps for a hunter or even a western bound buffalo hunter (Buffalo Bill's 'Lucretia Borgia" was an 1866 Allin Conversion).
    Without maker's marks, you may never know the full history, but it's fun to imagine.

I believe it could be a militia box made locally for a county or state unit that had no priority access to Federal supplies.
    Last edited by Fred; 06-26-2017 at 03:20.