Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

"...or POF junk..." Not all POF ammo is junk. There were some years that were ok. Don't remember which years. Most is unreliable though.
    "...Wolf bimetal cased .303..." Isn't surplus.
    "...bimetal cases worked well..." That has nothing to do with difficult bolt uplift or sticky extraction.
    The DDNP primer scare doesn't apply to .303 British. No such thing as .303 British NATO ammo.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    "...or POF junk..." Not all POF ammo is junk. There were some years that were ok. Don't remember which years. Most is unreliable though.
    "...Wolf bimetal cased .303..." Isn't surplus.
    "...bimetal cases worked well..." That has nothing to do with difficult bolt uplift or sticky extraction.
    The DDNP primer scare doesn't apply to .303 British. No such thing as .303 British NATO ammo.
    Yep I've had some POF that shot well. I wish I had paid attention to what years was good but that was 30 years ago. We had a No 1 Lithgow and Dad bought us boys tons of the stuff. Later he said it was cheaper keeping us entertained with that 303 and 22 rimfires then us running to town and staying out late on the weekends getting into trouble.

A lot of the surplus 303 just wast stored well. When I get some I try it, if it shoots great clean accordingly. Click bangs or confetti I pull the bullets. I use to reuse the cordite to but it just became a time suck. I use the pulled mark VIIs in my No 1 rifle variants because the bearing surface of the HPBTs just doesn't seem to work in them. I've just been shooting Sierra 174 grain HPBTs in the 2 No 4s I shoot as they shoot them well and Sierra is within driving distance.

3. Default

The POF is junk..... I had a few original boxes of it years back. It was all cordite and there were alot of hangfires in the lot.

Yup. It seems the BT's work well in rifles not having much barrel wear/throat erosion. Given the fact our rifles are surplus and are likely well used, BT's are mostly avoided. I know I've always taken a pass after hearing all the hit-or miss feedback.

Since we're on the topic of crap ammo, I once bought some "crappy Iraqi" cupro-nickel jacketed at a very good price. Nobody liked it but the seller was moving it out for barely more than the cost of the chargers. Danged if that stuff wasn't pretty good in the kid's rifles. I don't recall any misfires or hang fires and it grouped decently.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**