Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 4th block M-1899 carbine.

Page 256 in the good book. FY02-03. 1 M-1899 carbine.

420813.jpg

Not an over-stamp. Appears to be it's the only 4th block M-1899 carbine.

2. Default

Current auction?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    Current auction?
    Goodness no; it's on my dining room table.

The armory only made one of them?

jn

5. Default

Not many

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    The armory only made one of them?

jn
    Exactly one.
    First block was 1899.
    Second block was 1900.
    Third block was 1901.
    Fourth block is 1902. Just the one.

They took M-1898 receiver and "overstruck" them to 1899. Those I've seen. Obviously overstruck.

8 and 9. Notice 8 has two circles inside? 9 has one. Their "font" has a smaller circle on top in the 8. A 99 and a 98 can be detected as the metal left in that small upper circle is smaller on the 8 and isn't "expanded" on the overstrike. The circles on the 99s are different when overstruck as the second 9 has the smaller metal bit from the 8. Did that make sense?

1 complete carbine. Didn't check for spare parts receivers. That's possible. Given the overstrikes though I'd say it's unlikely.
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 06-23-2017 at 11:13.

One of the little internal joys of gun-collecting, finding something that is incredibly rare, yet would be passed over, or even castigated, by 99.9999% of viewers, only looking for appearance and bore condition, and, oh yes, a "deal". Great find - you are the one person who should have that, really, you deserve it, after all your hard work.

8. Default

Hmmm, if we are including all 1902 dated carbines there will be close to 180. One? No.

9. Default

I own two 1902 dated carbines and part of a third. Granted yours would be the highest number as the high number documented is 420810. Still, a great Krag carbine!

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    Hmmm, if we are including all 1902 dated carbines there will be close to 180. One? No.
    Exactly one was manufactured; no more and no less. Production report is abundantly clear.

You're conflating two different things. Manufactured and dated aren't the same thing. 1901 cartouches on 1896 rifles with serials in the expected 1896 range make that clear.

Exactly one was manufactured; no more and no less. Production report is abundantly clear.

====

I'll cover it. It's key to the M-1896 rifles in the 95-96 report as they are reported as manufactured but do not exist.

Springfield Armory was three things:
    1) Manufacture facility.
    2) Sales facility.
    3) Rework facility.

In role #1 guns were manufactured. A very specific and detailed report was required on this activity and was duly maintained past WW1. Then dropped. The production records are definitive.
    In role #2 guns were accepted from manufacture and then either sold to the army or other entities. Those entities could have them inspected and stamped per request.
    In role #3 guns were accepted for repair. RIA mainly did that for the army. SA typically did it for other agencies.

If somebody, Park Service for all I care, wanted a carbine in 1902 they could order one. If they requested it be inspected it would be. That gun would have a 1902 stamp on it. That does not mean it was manufactured in 1902.

Stamped <> Manufactured.

Sitting in my gun cabinet is a beautiful Magazine Rifle having undergone the first alteration (all M-1896 excepting hold-open pin on extractor and notch in receiver). Perfect 1897 stamp. The gun was clearly not made that year.

====

Manufacturing report lists exactly 1 M-1899 carbine manufactured. If you believe that you have a "1902 dated 1899 carbine" I'd like to see a clear, very clear, picture of the model marking and the serial number marking. Stock date, as detailed, is useless for manufacturing. A clean "1899" and a serial number, out of range past the 3rd block guns, is key. No over-strike. As mentioned the production report was clear on one complete manufactured gun. Receivers are always a different issue.

Post pictures. Detailed pictures. I'm curious.