Default 1868 Trapdoor Serial #22

This barreled receiver just sold on eBay. This is the lowest serial number 1868 I have seen. Sad it was parted out, looks like it needed some TLC. Tried to win it, but did not.

TK
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

AFAIK, that is NOT the serial number, just a set of digits used to make sure something got correctly (re)assembled. The real serial number is on the left side, not the bottom, and the font is different.

Someone probably paid way too much for something that was over-priced due to the current spike of interest in 68/68s.

You are lucky you "lost" (unless there are facts as yet undisclosed).

Also, be aware that (relatively) common M1869 Cadets ALSO have very low numbers! You must have the whole assembly, in proper configuration, before you get excited. As I said, you seem to have just dodged a bullet.

Yep. I'd asked the seller earlier what serial number was on the left hand side and was told that it was 21XXX. Note that those numbers are on the underside of the barrel and receiver.
    It went for $137.00
    The serial numbers of 1868's are, like Dick has said, on the Left Hand Side.
    Like on this 1868...

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fred; 06-22-2017 at 01:39.

Great News! After going back and looking, I should have seen the numbers were on the bottom and not the left side. I know they should be on the left side! Get excited thinking it was an early model and ignored the obvious.

Still learning certain things and glad you guys are willing to answer questions.
    Last edited by Tkacook; 06-22-2017 at 03:04.
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!