Blog Entries

Default Easy question for you wheel gun mavins...

My grandfather was a mail carrier during the period when he delivered mail on horseback and postmen had to be armed because the mail had hard currency and mailmen could / would be robbed. The pistol he carried was a nickeled break action in 38 cal. The grips were rubber and had a target with six shots impressed where Colt, if it had been a Colt, would have had the rampant horse.

My brother has the gun now so I can't look at it, but I believe it is an Iver Johnson or maybe a H & R. The only give away I know for sure now, is the target on the grips, but I don't remember the mfgr.

Also, just for grins and giggles, my other grandmother was born in 1886, in a covered wagon in Oklahoma Indian Territory. Yup, we were / are real Sooners...

IJ , IIRC , was an owl's head .
    Chris

Blog Entries

GWP, thank you so much. I have read and enjoyed your posts over the years and I knew someone here could answer this.

The second revolver is like the one my brother has. It shows 32 cal, but ours is in 38 cal. The cyclinder retainer is worn and when you "break" it the cyclinder rises, but if you hold it, the ejector will pop out the empties. The ratchet is worn and the hand does not time the cyclinder to the barrel, and the hammer spring is broken. It's not a shooter, has no value to anyone except the family. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

5. Default

Went to school in NY. Mail carriers in some neighborhoods packed then too.

Wife's grandfather worked on the railroad and carried a H and R .32. Its in the gunsafe. The gun is still tight but the finish is worn badly on the side he carried against his skin. Apparently he had corrosive sweat.

Grips with target and shot holes should be H&R.

I'm glad your grandfather didn't have to use this gun. You can really make someone mad shooting them with this.