Threaded View

Default 600 Yards With the Krag

Shot a 600 yard match last weekend with my '98 Krag rifle. I used to shoot my 03A3 but for some reason the USMC has recently banned 30-06 from this particular range so I am trying to find something else to take its place. The match consisted of 3 strings of 20 rounds for score, prone, slow fire. I shot the Krag in 2 relays. Each string had a possible of 200-20. My first string was a 99-1. Second string was a 85-0. By the time I started the second relay the wind was blowing 90* to the bullet flight path at a good clip. Most of the rounds landed short or wide. Any way, I think it shows some promise. I was shooting the Hornady AMax 168 gr bullets over 38 grains of IMR4895. There's another match next month on the 29th. I'm going to try the Hornady 178 gr ELD bullet and IMR4350. Don't know whether to stand in elation or hang my head in shame. If nothing else, the rifle was quite the conversation piece mixed in amongst all of the black rifle and F class shooters. Maybe I'm just expecting too much from the old gal.
    Jon
    Last edited by musketjon; 06-21-2017 at 12:38.