Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Smokeless powders are classified as "Propellants". Black Powder is classified as an "Explosive". HUGE difference. In a fire, HOPEFULLY the can is soft-soldered. If so, the solder will melt (in theory) so the BP will not be "contained" and (again, in THEORY) just go off like a tray of flash powder (Think old west type photos) and not be a bomb. Just store it in a cool, dry place and you'll be good to go. I've had bp that was 10+ years old work just fine. It doesn't deteriorate like smokeless does. If you feel the need to dispose of it, pour it in the yard and thoroughly saturate it with the garden hose and watch it disapear. There's a reason for the order "Keep your powder dry".
    Also, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER load a bp rifle or musket directly from a horn or flask. If there is a glowing ember in the barrel, the new powder being poured into the barrel will ignite and the flame will find its way into the flask or horn and now you'll be holding onto a bomb, the consequences of which can, and probably will be, deadly.
    Jon
    Last edited by musketjon; 06-26-2017 at 05:28.

No, no, Black Powder explodes. Smokeless burns.
    Measure out BP with plastic dippers.
    1 and 2F are for rifles.
    3F for pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by dogtag View Post
    No, no, Black Powder explodes. Smokeless burns.
    Measure out BP with plastic dippers.
    1 and 2F are for rifles.
    3F for pistols.
    1F is for artillery (think 1" and larger) and 4F is for priming the pan in flintlocks.
    Jon
    Last edited by musketjon; 07-01-2017 at 02:10.

4. Default

"1 and 2F are for rifles.
    3F for pistols. "

Well not exactly. 2F works well in muskets/rifles, but many shooters at N-SSA use 3f in muskets as well as revolvers. Shoot about 1 lb a week practicing for monthly competitions and for my 58 cal Springfield I use 45 grains FFFG Goex with a 405 grain Hodgon wadcutter sized to .576 (.577 bore Hoyt barrel), for my 54 cal Shiloh Sharps I use 50 grains FFFG Goex and a Rapine bullet and for my '58 Remington I use 20 grains FFFG and a .454 RB. All the firearms shoot exceptionally accurate when I do my part. Shoot safely...

I was talking what is generally used.
    Exceptions of course for those with experience.

Remember that advice from Sharp's Rifles -
    "Grind it too fine and it'll blow your ruddy head off"