Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Krag 1901 rear sight help locating...

Folks...been trying for a while, a good while, to locate a rear sight for an 1896 Krag (not sporterized/carbine), but most places suggested or listed have the wrong year or just the base, no slide. etc....Most on google were listed for sale in 2005, 2015 etc and long gone. Found one that was available for $500 that I gotta pass on. Or I'm told it will fit and get it and it's the wrong year. Geeze....
    Anybody know of where I might find one to get this great weapon whole again? Thanks for any help I can get.

devildog Semper Fi!

'devildog': "Krag 1901 rear sight help locating..." Your request is a bit confusing in that you then ask about a model 1896 Krag sight.

Do you need a U.S. Krag model 1896 rifle rear sight or the model 1896 carbine version? The rifle version is common and can often be bought on ebay for around $45.00. The carbine version is rare and in demand and sells for around $500 to $600.

I'd advise temporarily using the rifle version, if you are restoring a carbine, (until you get lucky).

Pictures of your project will get better feedback. (Attached, are pictures of a later model 1896 carbine sight, if this is helpful).

IMG_5858.jpgIMG_5857.JPG
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 06-21-2017 at 08:02.

Default Krag 1901 rear sight

Appears to be not clear as to what I'm looking for, so, as in first line of my post, I am trying to locate a rear sight for a 1896 Springfield that is NOT sporterized and NOT a carbine. That is, the rifle is not a carbine or been Bubba-ized. I know, trust me, I need an 1901 style rear sight. The models 1892, 1896, 1898 and 1902 will not fit .

I thank those that provided information and shared their knowledge. It was of help.

devildog Semper Fi!

'devildog' - If I am understanding you correctly, you have a U.S. model 1896 (Krag - Jorgensen rifle) that was manufactured at Springfield Armory and later fitted with the 1901 Buffington rear-sight and its appropriate hand-guard.

The 1901 rifle sight shows up frequently on ebay and they sell for around $75 to $80.

krag-1901.JPG
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 06-21-2017 at 11:46.

Don't understand the problem - there are three possible cutouts in the seven known original handguards. (1) 1892/1896 (2) 1898/1902, and (3) 1901. If the first two are eliminated, only the 1901 is left. They are not rare, and as B/R says, frequently show up on eBay. $500 would have been an absurd price, totally out of line. Wonder if something else is going on here - should not have been an issue in the first place. As always, pics help - the insistance that the arm is NOT buggered, and NOT a carbine, should not have any relation to what sight is needed.

to the OP: your rear sight has to match your handguard, the 1892 rear sight and the 1896 rear sight use the same handguard, the 1898 and 1902 rear sight use the same handguard and then the 1901 rear sight uses a hadndguard. All rear sights will fit the barrel but they need the proper handguard and if this is not the question and if this has already been explained, I apologize.

There are plenty of rear sights on ebay and elsewhere for your rifle and they are anywhere from 35 bucks to 100 bucks.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

Maybe this picture from KCA site will help clarify handguards -

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by devildog View Post
    Appears to be not clear as to what I'm looking for, so, as in first line of my post, I am trying to locate a rear sight for a 1896 Springfield that is NOT sporterized and NOT a carbine. That is, the rifle is not a carbine or been Bubba-ized. I know, trust me, I need an 1901 style rear sight. The models 1892, 1896, 1898 and 1902 will not fit .

I thank those that provided information and shared their knowledge. It was of help.

devildog Semper Fi!
    Just so we're on the right page, you desire one of these?

1901-1.jpg

1901-2.jpg

1901-3.jpg

1901-4.jpg
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 06-22-2017 at 12:53.

'devildog' - I was not trying to embarrass or 'dog' you.

It does look like there are a bunch of Krag rifle 1901 rear-sights on gunbroker & ebay.

The multiple responses should help you verify the correct sight for your rifle's hand-guard.

Nor - for the record was I - it's just that, as Joe (5MF) pointed out, finding one at a reasonable price is no biggie.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 06-22-2017 at 02:08.