Default Krag 1901 sight repair

I have a Krag 1901 sight. The elevation adjustment screw/knob has broken off.
    1- How do you remove the elevation adjustment or the screw / knob be replaced?
    2- Does someone sell these screws or knobs?
    3- Will one from a M1903 work?
    "Three people can keep a secret as long as two of them are dead" Mark Twain

'1mark' - You remove the screw and drive out the small pin from the 'top-plate' of the 1901 sight elevation-slide. (The small pin 'captures' the threaded shank via a groove around the lock-screw shank).

You should then be able to unscrew the fragment of the broken lock-screw.

I imagine a 1903 Springfield elevation slide lock-screw might work, but, a reproduction is available from S&S Firearms, Glendale, N.Y., for $12.50. (Their catalog is viewable online).

krag leaf detail-01.JPGsns-1901 lock screw.jpg
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 06-18-2017 at 09:22.

Quote Originally Posted by 1mark View Post
    1- How do you remove the elevation adjustment or the screw / knob be replaced?
    2- Does someone sell these screws or knobs?
    3- Will one from a M1903 work?
    1. Drive out the tiny cross pin that retains the slide binding screw. 03pins.jpg 1901 slide pin same as 1905 sight shown.
    2. Probably.
    3. Yes.

Thanks for all of the information. Took it apart BUT cannot get the screw remains out. I guess I need to find a left hand twist drill bit.
    "Three people can keep a secret as long as two of them are dead" Mark Twain

FWIW - I have had luck removing the remains of 'screw-shanks' by drilling a small diameter hole into the shank and forcing an appropriate size jeweler's screw-driver bit into the hole. This usually works well for me. (Kind of a square peg in a round hole technique).