1. Default M1 carbine sights

I am currently looking at a M1 carbine that has a serial number that puts it manufactured September of 1942. Was wondering if any one has seen one that has had the rear sight removed and a different one put on the front of the receiver. If so would send me some info on this.

That sounds like it may be a Bavarian carbine. At the end of WW2 the US armed many German and later Austrian police type agencies with carbines. Many times these were modified by an agency to something like a rifle that had been used during the war. Sometimes the dove tail was left alone but many times it was machined off and a slot cut in the receiver and a V notch type sight installed. Some people collect Bavarian carbines and often you will find them with separate sets of numbers on things like trigger housings, bolt, stocks and maybe some other parts too. The numbers got mixed up during rebuilding in Germany. But this is where US carbines get the name Bavarian from even though they were used through out Germany and not just Bavaria.

Jim Mock's site has info on these. He may have a picture or two posted. I know he has one in his collection. I sold it to him!

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    That sounds like it may be a Bavarian carbine. At the end of WW2 the US armed many German and later Austrian police type agencies with carbines. Many times these were modified by an agency to something like a rifle that had been used during the war. Sometimes the dove tail was left alone but many times it was machined off and a slot cut in the receiver and a V notch type sight installed. Some people collect Bavarian carbines and often you will find them with separate sets of numbers on things like trigger housings, bolt, stocks and maybe some other parts too. The numbers got mixed up during rebuilding in Germany. But this is where US carbines get the name Bavarian from even though they were used through out Germany and not just Bavaria.
    So what would be a fair price? All numbers appear to match and it is in fair condition.

5. Default

Can you send me a link to Jim Mock's site so that I can do more research

This is the link I have for Jim's site. Great info, Jim put a lot of work into it. I was fortunate enough to have several of my "Bavarians" featured in the early days of his work.

http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/
    Last edited by SloopJohnB; 06-17-2017 at 12:15.