Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remington 1903 Modified??

Quote Originally Posted by jsaviano View Post
    Remington 1903 Modified??
    Correct, there are no lightening cuts on rear sight base so probably true unless it's a rebuild. I had sn 854289, a Greek return CMP rifle, that had the modified sight base.

They're ALL "Remington Modified". The term is sometimes used to describe later rifles but is not really correct. The rifle is a later one, that's for sure.

Yes, I know ...a pet peeve!
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

The follower is Stamped with a W. It is a milled follower. The Lower Band is Stamped, but the Sling Swivel is Milled.

@ Bear. I read about the problems Jouster was having. I thought that everyone who had a hand in helping did one heck of a job. I have enjoyed reading peoples posts so much that ithas kept me up 'til the wee hours on several mornings.
    If you no not where you are going, any Road will get you there!

'They're ALL "Remington Modified".'

Rick, please explain since it is my understanding (perhaps erroneous) that the original Remington's were just like the SA and RIA 1903s, and only later did Remington begin to streamline production by cutting unnecessary corners. My books are 6 feet away and it's too hot for me to make the effort to move that far. Thanks.

My rifle is an "Un-Modified Remington 1903 with the possible exception of 3 parts, Stamped Lower Band, RIA Bolt Body, and a Fine Checkered milled Remington Butt Plate.
    If you no not where you are going, any Road will get you there!

They are NOT all "Modified" Remington made many, many 1903 Springfields that were "identical" to the Rock Island ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    'They're ALL "Remington Modified".'

Rick, please explain since it is my understanding (perhaps erroneous) that the original Remington's were just like the SA and RIA 1903s, and only later did Remington begin to streamline production by cutting unnecessary corners. My books are 6 feet away and it's too hot for me to make the effort to move that far. Thanks.
    You are correct - however the term as used by collectors (depending whom you consult) has the term "Modified" used for Remington M1903s in the 3,050,000-3,100,000 range and later. Well after the earlier parts were no longer used. Some say the term applies to those with stamped parts. There was no "starting" and "stopping" period of March, 1942, as often claimed. Changes were introduced gradually over a number of months. You can find later Remington M1903s with earlier characteristics, and vice/versa.

The term "Modified" was used to describe all Remington M1903s because the machinery and gauges used by Remington were, in effect "frozen" to those changes made to @ 1919, when Rock Island ceased production. There were numerous changes made at Springfield after that period in producing M1903s. For one, the Type C stock was made standard long before the Remington M1903 was produced. However, in the interests of getting production going, Remington was allowed to use the "straight" stock (first with grasping grooves, later without) instead of the Type C.
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 06-17-2017 at 05:29.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

The term "Modified" appeared in Army Ordnance documentation describing the Remington M1903 rifle several months before the first rifle was submitted for inspection. The term "Modified" was used to distinguish the Remington rifle from the then-standard M1903A1 rifle. With adoption of the M1903A1 rifle in 1929, the standard M1903 rifle was officially classified as obsolete, thereby precluding further production of such rifles as new. So to politically work around the "obsolete" classification, the Remington rifle became "Modified".

J.B.

Thanks for the clarification, John.
    --C.S. Lewis