Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I went to casting my own. Most commercial bullets are way too hard and don't expand well in the bore at ignition. I got lucky and got several hundred pounds of pure lead from an X-ray room they remodeled from an old hospital. Add a little tin and I end up with 505 grain bullets in the mold I use. If you start reloading take it slow and start with a single stage press. Compression die over drop tube IMO. You have the go to source I started with, take your time and you will find reloading is as fun as shooting.

2. Default

And, pray tell, what was "the source I started with"?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by andyinlz View Post
    And, pray tell, what was "the source I started with"?

Thanks.
    Go to Graff and Son as they have everything you will need @ a reasonable price. Pick up the Lyman Manual, Hornady reloading equipment. Lee makes a decent casting equipment, lousy dies that won't hold up. Reloading isn't hard just take it slow @ first. I quit counting @ 500,000 rounds.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by andyinlz View Post
    I have received and at least partially digested my copy of Wolf's Loading Cartridges for the Original 45-70 Springfield Rifle and Carbine.

I am leaning towards the 500g load to match my Buffington sight at the correct .459 bullet size, drilled out primer holes, compressed 70 grains, etc., etc.

However, it is rather amazing to me that no one makes this commercially--hand loading is a step I am reluctant to take if I do not have to.

So, are there any commercially available correct (using Wolf data) 500g loads?

If not, are any of the 500g bullets available on Track of the Wolf, Inc. a good place to start (I have enough memory problems without adding lead exposure into the mix)? Maybe this one: https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...LET-459-500-FP

Last, is anyone here in the Chicago area and willing to let me watch a handloading process? I find that in-person exposure is often the best way to learn.

Thanks in advance.
    Buffalo arms carries both the 405 HB GOV bullet #460405HB in boxes of 50 they are sized @.459 and pre lubed with SPG lube also the 500 gr GOV #459500 also pre lubed with SPG lube in box of 50.
    I have both they are very nice bullets. They both are cast @ 20-1 lead tin and the 500 is cat from the NEI 1881 mold. Not sure on the 405's NEI or LEE? Price is not to bad and no hazardous handling fee.

Jim

5. Default

You need to google the 500 grain bullet, there is accompany that makes them in the orginal shape. had 100 loaded and are first rate