Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default M1903 National Match deer rifle

I guess this would be a great gun if you only wanted to hit a deer in the left ventricle right below the aorta. SN 1267063 National Match was purchased from the DMC in march 19 1926 by a gentleman named H J Richardson of Missoula MT. He would later shoot in the 1938 Camp Perry national match for the Montana Civilian Team. The bolt is electro penciled and the barrel is 10-24 SA This is the first National Match rifle I have every held the barrel seems very thick/heavy like a bull barrel it has vise marks and the trigger is amazing I have never felt a trigger like this before you could fire it with a feather. The front of the muzzle has been chopped 2" it has what I am guessing are the star gauge numbers. It had a really poor scope on it and I had an old Leupold laying around so I swapped it out.

I have a few questions. Most important is How can I find out/document if Richardson used this rifle in 1938 at Camp Perry? The bolt seems to be original (electro pencil) but the handle is not? I don't hunt any more and as this cant be restored I will be selling this at some point what should I ask for it?(ballpark) bore is very good also. Is there a forum for hunting rifles?
    Any comments or questions welcome
    92309806.jpg92309803.jpg92309800.jpg92309811.jpg92309809.jpg
    Last edited by Discus420; 06-12-2017 at 01:54.

Blog Entries

Since this is listed, you may want to get the DCM sales document.

If he's the original owner, it is quite likely this was his competition gun.

1267063NM 031926DCM RIFLE SALES 1922-42

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post

Thanks Roadkingtrax how does one get this document?

Blog Entries

A copy of the original sales card and a letter showing who bought the rifle can be obtained from Springfield Research Service (SRS). The a letter and copy of the sales record card costs $65.00. To qualify to get the letter and card you have to be a subscriber to the U. S. Martial Arms Collector magazine, produced by SRS. The cost of the annual subscription is $35.00. For this you get four guarterly magazines. To me it is worth the cost. A google search will find the address, etc. of SRS.
    Last edited by Herschel; 06-12-2017 at 07:54. Reason: additional wording

Tim is correct, well worth your investment. Several VERY prominent people with a paper trail purchased these rifles. To purchase a symbol of status during the Great Depression was no common opportunity.

Order the card and follow the trail and learn the original buyer's story. You may come to appreciate the story far more than the rifle itself.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeeaterpilot View Post
    Tim is correct, well worth your investment. Several VERY prominent people with a paper trail purchased these rifles. To purchase a symbol of status during the Great Depression was no common opportunity.

Order the card and follow the trail and learn the original buyer's story. You may come to appreciate the story far more than the rifle itself.
    But he already knows the original buyer (even has a photo of him now!) and the purchase date. Sure, the SRS info would be "interesting," but will it reveal who sporterized the gun, and will it add $100 to its value when resold? Not, I suspect, to whomever is likely to be the buyer of a sporterized military weapon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    But he already knows the original buyer (even has a photo of him now!) and the purchase date. Sure, the SRS info would be "interesting," but will it reveal who sporterized the gun, and will it add $100 to its value when resold? Not, I suspect, to whomever is likely to be the buyer of a sporterized military weapon.
    If he doesn't own the sales document, he could be wrong. Best to invest the time and small amount of money to paper it.

It pays off, I know from personal experience. Smokeeaterpilot and I both do.

Blog Entries

If he doesn't own the sales document, he could be wrong. Best to invest the time and small amount of money to paper it.

It pays off, I know from personal experience. Smokeeaterpilot and I both do.
    I have obtained srs letters for all the rifles I have that will letter. To me it is worth the $65.00 to know who originally bought the rifle even though it had custom work done on it by the original or a subsequent owner. I appreciate the workmanship of the master gunsmiths who customized the 1903 and 1922M1 Springfields. Through Petrov's books I have been able to determine the identity of the gunsmith or shop that did the work on some of them.