Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1911 pistol holster---

I picked one up at an antique store to-day. On sale 30 bucks. Very good condition except leather is a bit stiff, 'not bend and crack' stiff but hard. I usually use Pecards paste preserve but it does not seem to soak in and soften the leather. I think a liquid would be better What would you guys recommend? Not Neats Foot, I know.
    Not being really familiar with this kind of stuff I never heard of the maker, what can you tell me? Joseph H. Mosser, 1942. Thanks for any info.
    You can never go home again.

I use "Leather CPR" and it works great.
    Dog

Thanks Dog. I'm not Dave but I read and ordered some CPR from ebay. I've been looking for a good leather cleaner/conditioner. I've been using Lexol spray on my car interior---it smells and it's slimy.

Use thin coats of Pecards and give it time to work before applying more. It took a long time for the leather to get in that condition and can't be corrected overnight.

I tried Lexol on a very dry Model 1909 holster. As it soaked it up and dried I would apply more. In the end the holster was not only dry, but brittle.

I've had success with a Pecard's product called "Shoe oil" on really stiff and dry leather.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

I like Pecard's Antique treatment the best. As Johnny P said, apply thinly, let soak and apply again. May take more than 2 or 3 treatments. Don't rush it.

John
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

7. Default

Joseph H. Mosser Leather Co., of Williamsport, PA was one of the WWII Model 1916 holster makers. All of their holsters I've seen were dated 1942.

Another vote for Pecards using lots of thin coats and time.

Remember that most oils, specially neatfootsoil, will dark leather bringing less collecting value so use strictly Pecard Antique Leather and give him the time to act. BTW the Mosser is one of scarcer WWII M1916 holsters.

Default Pecards..

Quote Originally Posted by p246 View Post
    Another vote for Pecards using lots of thin coats and time.
    I have used Pecards for years...