Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repair Pins

Default Repair Pins

I have an RIA single bolt CN1909 stock w/ high hump handguard. Pretty beat up, with a brass pin repair on the wrist of the stock, and one on the hump of the handguard. Now before you say Greek return, there is no last 4 digits on the rhs of the stock. I'm curious if anybody else used brass repair pins, possibly as a field expedient repair...............?
    Last edited by ElWoodman; 06-06-2017 at 10:37.

Although I can't document this, I have seen brass pins used to repair gunstocks as far back as Brown Bess muzzleloaders. The brass pins were stronger than wood dowels and didn't rust like iron nails. In my opinion this repair is just a repair and is no indication it was done by the Greeks or some USMC armorer on Guadalcanal.
    Last edited by RED; 06-06-2017 at 08:17.

Blog Entries

My M1 has brass pins repair to upper hand guard. Works fine lasts a long time... like John Cameron Swayze's Timex... 'takes a lickn' and keeps on bangn' '...

Back in the day when you could order rifles and parts from the Director of Civilian marksmanship, those brass pins were available and there were two diameters available. I still have several bags of them somewhere, but have never had to use them for stock repairs. I think the "threads" on the pins were square sectioned.

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    Although I can't document this, I have seen brass pins used to repair gunstocks as far back as Brown Bess muzzleloaders. The brass pins were stronger than wood dowels and didn't rust like iron nails. In my opinion this repair is just a repair and is no indication it was done by the Greeks or some USMC armorer on Guadalcanal.
    Very well stated RED. I agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by ElWoodman View Post
    I have an RIA single bolt CN1909 stock w/ high hump handguard. Pretty beat up, with a brass pin repair on the wrist of the stock, and one on the hump of the handguard. Now before you say Greek return, there is no last 4 digits on the rhs of the stock. I'm curious if anybody else used brass repair pins, possibly as a field expedient repair...............?
    The Greeks did not use brass repair pins. They used wooden biscuits.

J.B.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
    The Greeks did not use brass repair pins. They used wooden biscuits.

J.B.
    Dam hard on teeth and a bitch to chew, alsotoo

Quote Originally Posted by rebound View Post
    Dam hard on teeth and a bitch to chew, alsotoo
    Not if you're a beaver or a termite!

J.B.

1/8" brass bar stock. $10 in Home Depot for a 3 foot piece. 12" piece from Wally World runs $4.21.
    Spelling and grammar count!

N.E. New Jersey, west of the 'gorllia' building.

The USGI repair "brass pins" are not pins, they are screws. You screw them in and cut off the exposed head.