Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Refinished 1913 Colt 1911 worth $3700?

Hi all.... like the title says, I am looking at a Colt that was redone by a renown restoration service. It appears gorgeous from the pictures, have not seen it in real life. I realize it has 0% original finish, but it is complete, matching and looks like it just rolled off the line. Is it worth that kind of money? Thanks all! Steve

Thumbs down

Since you seem to have an interest in this sort of thing - I have 20 acres in the middle of the Sahara desert for sale for only $500 an acre.

That price is "Only" about $3000+ to high.
    Sarge
    Calling illegal aliens undocumented immigrants is like calling drug dealers unlicensed pharmacists!
    LIFE MEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281.AHC Assoc & CAF

Thanks Sarge. What is a realistic price? 1913 matching Colts aren't that common, plus it was restored by Turnbull's Restorations, which can't be cheap. You think it is only worth $700? I have a little bridge I would like to sell you! ;>)

Exclamation

IF you have an interest in and/or collect Non military reworked firearms than that is a nice one.
    However IF you collect original items in "Original" condition than that pistol is a nice looking shooter! Its value is that of a non military reworked shooter = my original estimate.
    Sarge
    Calling illegal aliens undocumented immigrants is like calling drug dealers unlicensed pharmacists!
    LIFE MEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281.AHC Assoc & CAF

Thanks for the honest opinion Sarge. I am glad there are all different types of collectors. Makes the hobby more fun. My wife and I both are recent converts into WW1 history, as opposed to WW2, so I welcome the addition from that point of view.

"Is it worth that kind of money?"
    Many things in life have flexible dimensions such as the price of an item at a garage sale.
    Other things in life have fixed dimensions, such as the price of a most anything at Walmart.
    The biggest differences between the garage sale and Walmart is that the items in Walmart
    are new and are priced based on their cost of manufacture plus whatever profit that they
    can tack on without killing sales. The prices of the items at the garage sale are usually based
    on the seller's desire to get rid of the stuff before the sale is over. Occasionally a garage
    sale will have some "Collectable" items that are popular enough by a large enough set of
    collectors that prices for the items have established some "Norms" on places like Ebay and
    in various collectors guides. The prices of these items are usually a lot more firm than regular
    garage sale items, but the items seldom sell unless a collector who is interested in those
    items just happens to stop by. Thirty years ago most collectors items were mostly sold
    at specialty shows, in specialty shops, through dedicated specialty publications, or at
    specialty auctions.
    Today the internet has largely displaced shows, shops, and publications. Specialty auctions
    have managed to merge with the internet and offer on-line live bidding through the internet
    as well as live telephone bidding. In many cases, the on line and telephone bidding accounts
    for the majority of the sales, at least for the high end items.
    The prices that these collectable items sell for is generally related to the number of
    collectors who want to own the item and how much each is willing to fork out in order to
    get it. Some collectable items such as beany babies or bottle caps come and go as does
    the wind. In many cases, these "Flash in the pan" items fade as fast as they rise because
    collectors realize that the items have little lasting value and the original "flash" was
    caused by gullible people being influenced by con-men selling cute junk.
    Collectable items that have lasting power also usually have dedicated followings who
    study the market and know what items that they specialize in sell for in the various
    venues such as shows, shops, publications, auctions and internet sales.
    It has recently become fashionable for on line auctions to sell expensive items with only tiny,
    blurry, low resolution, or out of focus pictures. Reason would lead one to conclude that
    most of these sales are to people who are beginners or are to people who like to gamble,
    even if the odds are heavily against them.
    However sales of high end collectable 1911 pistols are usually based on originality, rarity,
    and condition. This is mostly because there are many original pistols in existance and
    while there are many more messed with pistols than original pistols, few serious collectors
    would waste their time and money on non-original messed with pistols.
    When one asks "Is it worth that kind of money?" on an open forum that seems to specialize
    in high end 1911 pistols, one should probably expect most of the answers to be slanted
    toward original pistols and to expect lots of upturned noses at the mention of restored or
    refinished pistols. Indeed, my own attitudes are pretty much in harmony with originality
    at all costs, and if it is not original, it's a shooter thats worth a shooter price, and no apologies.

Best Karl

Thanks Karl. Appreciate the input. I was hoping for some practical guidance before buying/trading. I ended up trading a couple of (nice, but not rare at all) rifles and some cash. I think we were both happy. I have a large WW2 collection, and yes, I personally would never consider a "refinished" Garand or 1903. This caught my eye because it was so nicely done, and such a nice example of how an early Colt looked back in the day.

Steve, please don't take this criticism personally, but your last sentence "yes, I personally would never consider a "refinished" Garand or 1903. This caught my eye because it was so nicely done, and such a nice example of how an early Colt looked back in the day.", is what collecting these objects of history is all about, but you got it wrong. The refinished early Colt in question did not look that way back in the day. Indeed if you want to see what they looked like in their day just hold an original pistol beside the refinished one and if you look long enough and close enough (with a magnifier), you will see most of the subtle differences between them. Just as you learned (The hard way as most of us do with your Garands, carbines and 1903s,) the devil is in the details. I like to think that the mistakes I made (and I made plenty of them,) could be a learning tool for others. The refinished (Restoration) is a very attractive pistol, and if Colt or no one else ever made any 1911s, I might want one for my collection, but once you have an original in your hands and study it closely, you will be able to see most of the subtle differences. If you still like the restoration, I would be surprised.
    Best Karl

Yes Karl, I still love it. Certainly more than the two modern rifles I traded for it. Other than two M1917s I have, it is my only WW1 piece. It was only refinished by Turnbull`s, so all other parts original. I don`t know why the original owner refinished it. Maybe the same reason people restore 1965 Mustangs. I have collected WW2 for many years, I traded with my eyes open. I was looking for some guidance from the forum, I got what I asked for. Like one of you said, from owners of high end 1911`s. I am sure I won`t ask such questions again.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve(WA) View Post
    Hi all.... like the title says, I am looking at a Colt that was redone by a renown restoration service. It appears gorgeous from the pictures, have not seen it in real life. I realize it has 0% original finish, but it is complete, matching and looks like it just rolled off the line. Is it worth that kind of money? Thanks all! Steve
    With all due respect, it may look good to you, but it doesn't look original...and that's because it isn't. Most properly restored pistols (vs. poorly refinished) I see for sale sell for about 20-30% of an original pistol in the same general condition. That's just a rough guideline, as a lot of things come into play.

Common pistols that are restored are on the low end of that estimate, and uncommon/rare variations are on the high end. And still, just because one guy will pay that, doesn't mean everyone will.

Edit: I forgot to add, Turnbull often replaces worn or incorrect parts with modern replacements. That, IMO, detracts from a quality restoration. Stocks, grip screws and other small parts that are not original typically stick out like a sore thumb to someone knowledgeable.
    Last edited by Scott Gahimer; 06-18-2017 at 09:58.
    www.m1911info.com
    Solutions for M1911 Buyers & Sellers