Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks Scott. I don't pretend it's original. It just looks nice to me. I Googled the serial number and found some pictures of it pre-restoration. It wasn't drug behind a tank, but was pretty rough. Marked AA on the side, had some WW2 parts on it. I don't know who swapped out the parts to where it is now (appears all period), Turnbull's says they just applied the finish. There is definitely some restoration skill involved. Karl was talking about restorations and quoted me as talking about not buying a refinished WW2 gun. I should have been a bit more clear. I have avoided a lot of "refinished" guns over the years, buffed out and reblues, reparked in someone's tub, etc. Those are the ones I was referring to. To me this is a restoration instead of a refinish. Yes, I love the history of guns, and have a number of 1903s from back in the day, with different stampings on the stock as they moved through life in the military, etc. I love each of them for what story they could tell. The 1913 has a history, but to me at least I think of a USGI Soldier, pre-WW1 who probably held and fired it. And now it looks KINDA like it did when our young born in 1800's Soldier first held it. My regret with starting this post is asking about money. Since I traded a couple of AK type rifles for it, the money was really a non issue. I will know better in the future. I do appreciate everyone's comments.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Steve(WA) View Post
    I have a large WW2 collection, and yes, I personally would never consider a "refinished" Garand or 1903. This caught my eye because it was so nicely done, and such a nice example of how an early Colt looked back in the day.
    Steve,

Nice picture of your 1913.

It looks like you might have experience with M1 rifles,---hope you can offer some advice on one. Know someone that is considering a 1940 M1. It looks all original(?)/correct, except the keystone op-rod spring. And the original stock does not have much of the original inspection stamps.

Is it even worth considering? If so, would you install a repo keystone op-rod spring, and/or have the stock re-stamped? Thanks.

Best Regards,

P.S. Here is another (nice pictures, and lots of details) 1913. https://www.gunauction.com/buy/14452063
    Last edited by stan4; 06-21-2017 at 06:11.

Thanks Stan. The only guy I would ever look at on Gunauction (old Auction Arms) is "Jack the Dog". He usually has good stuff and takes amazing pictures. You know what you are getting. I am no expert by any means on the M1. I have a 1941 SA that is in nice shape. The earlier the gun, the more $$ of course. Condition is everything, in the 1911 world and every other world. I would jump on a 1940 gun in a minute if the price was fair. Just like 1913 Colt's, there are not a ton of them in every gun store. Good luck, let us know about the Garand. Also, post over on the Garand site. If you ask people about re-stamping the stock and such, you will get answers much like I got on the reconditioning of the Colt. I think it is a personal choice, as long is it isn't represented later as original.

All I know is that Turnbull has been around quite a while and does a good business, so there are a lot of people that will pay for a weapon such as this. No one seems to have a problem with a restored 1955 Chevy. Do you really think a beat, never maintained "original" 55 Chevy is worth more than a 55 Chevy restored by an expert ? Sure an original Colt 1911 that is in the same condition as a Turnbull restoration is going to be much more desirable and worth a heck of a lot more, but not everyone has that kind of bucks.
    Last edited by 2111; 07-01-2017 at 05:02.

5. Default

Turnbull apparently does a fair amount of business as there a appears to be an endless line of people wanting a pristine example of an old gun...for whatever reason. They do a decent job, in fact too good. Look at their case hardening of receivers on old Winchesters. The color is just wrong. In short, I've seen a fair number of Turnbull's restorations pieces on the various auctions with the sellers boasting the work was done by Turnbull. The prices are too high and I've never seen one sell. In short you'll never get your money back out of one. Yes, I know, "I'll never sell this gun" comments are frequent with those guns, but really?

The comparison of restored cars comes up here every so often and there is no comparison. Lastly, a restoration like Turnbull does (AND I AM BY NO MEANS ACCUSING THEM OF FRAUD) can be just a way of making something into something it is not.