Default Hogdon Trail Boss Powder the same as IMR trail Boss??

I wanted to load some sub-sonic rounds for my 300 black out, and found some load data for IMR Trail Boss. When I tried to purchase some of this powder I was told it's now made by Hogdon, And the sales person brought out a can of it to show me. This seems very strange to me that one company would stop making a powder, and another would start making one named the same. Are these two manufactures powders the same, and can I use the load data from the IMR powder for the Hogdon?

Hodgdon acquired IMR Powder Company in 2003. Winchester branded reloading powders have been licensed to Hodgdon since March 2006. In January 2009 Hodgdon acquired GOEX Powder, Inc.

WHG,
    Don't bother loading subs with trail boss. It will not cycle the action in an AR. As a matter of fact, TB loads won't even eject the spent shell. I've done load workups with a variety of powders for subs in the 300 BO and the ONLY reliable loads I found were with AA1680 powder. I've tried Trail boss, AA1680, H110, IMR 4198 and CFE BLK. All but AA1680 either wouldn't cycle the action, wouldn't lock the bolt back or were at or below 900FPS. I'm using 10.9 grains of AA1680 for 220 grain Hornady VLDs and 10.7 grains for 208 grain Sierra MK bullets and 230 grain lead bullets from a Lee Double Cavity Bullet Mold TL309-230-5R for 30 Cal Rifle (300 AAC Blackout). http://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-tl309-230-5r.html
    HTH
    Dave
    Last edited by DaveL; 06-05-2017 at 12:21.

9.0 grains of H110 behind a 220 gr Lapua HPBT ( SMK 220 type ) set at 2.25 COAL will cycle fine IN A PISTOL GAS system with a H2 buffer .
    11.2 grains of RL-7 is needed for a longer burn in a CARBINE GAS system . It will work in the pistol gas too , but it's dirtier than H110 .
    Fine tune your loads from there .
    Chris

WHG,
    The loads in my first post work in a carbine gas and buffer system with a 16" barrel. They also work with a rifle buffer and a carbine gas system with a 16" barrel. They also run in 7.5" and a 10.5" barrels with a pistol gas system and pistol buffer. All with the original weight BCG. I'm told the pistol buffer is the same as a carbine buffer system on the inside.
    Check the pressures of the various powders listed for the blackout in your loading manuals. You'll see that 1680 is nearly the only powder that is above the 30,000 psi mark. I've done a couple dozen or more load workups for subs in the blackout and found that any load that doesn't reach the 30,000 psi mark turns out to be unreliable one way or another. Trail Boss turns out to be the worst powder of them all for the Blackout.
    HTH