Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Just a small addition. While LDV officially stands for Local Defence Volunteers, the more popular meaning was "Look, Duck, and Vanish!"
    Last edited by John Sukey; 06-12-2017 at 03:28.

In regards to the picture posted in this thread as "Korea" by "5MadFarmers", Scott Duff used this photo in his article "Garands in the Kings Service" (American Rifleman Apr. 2002). Scott states in regard to this photo, "During the Korean War, British troops of the 41 Royal Marine Commando used Garands and American equipment in combat. It is believed that these rifles were acquired locally and were not part of the "Lend-Lease" stock."
    It is my belief that as rifles were not shipped from armories with slings and slings were a unit issue, the L.L. rifles no doubt were shipped to England without slings. The Brits would most likely have used the same sling they used on the Pattern 14, though most Garands were not used.
    Last edited by 2111; 06-13-2017 at 06:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    Bottom picture is from Korea. Proves nothing about Lend/Lease rifles. Real Marines used U.S. kit in Korea. Said kit was issued locally and was not Lend/Lease. The Lend/Lease Act expired in 1945. Most Brit Lend/Lease rifles were returned before the war was over as well.
    A decision was made in March 1942 that all .30-cal. arms be allotted to the U.S. Army. Transfers under the "Lend Lease Act" were officially terminated at the end of June 1942. (Scott Duff, "Garands in the Kings Service", American Rifleman, Apr. 2002). The rifles obtained from G.B. by Sam Cummings of Interarms in the mid 1950's and sold starting about 1959 were the first Lend Lease rifles purchased by a U.S. Arms dealer. These rifles are the ones which will have the British Proofs in the chamber area.

Hope this isn't too far off the thread, but I was working on a VFW M1, and the rear handguard has a grooved clip and a crack repair at the top, nicely done, with 4 brass pins. I have an SMLE with the same type of repair.
    i've always wondered if there was a link. It came to the VFW in the 60's I believe when the '03s were retired to flag duty only.

5. Default

Not that they don't exist, but so far have not observed one of the virtually certain Lend-Lease M1 Rifles with a pre 1955 commercial proof. The British Government started releasing the L-L 1911A1 pistols for sale in 1952, which is the earliest release and proofing I am aware of.

Occasionally a well worn post WWII Springfield or H&R M1 Rifle will show up with 1955 British commercial proofs, but only proves some British arms merchant bought it and brought it to England.