Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Three 1868's

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    So, does anyone notice anything of interest about these rifles??
    OK, I'll step in and show my ignorance, unless it is the rear sight on the top rilfe, what am I missing?

By the way, I'd rather see these photos here than anywhere else.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

The dates of their manufacture are on each breech block. Only about 150 such rifles were assembled in 1868, and are so stamped.
    Also, did you notice their Serial Numbers?

Doh!

Thanks, Fred.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

There must be other early 1868's out there in garages and closets and gun cabinets, but they don't get noticed by most people.
    There are only 19 such rifles known anywhere to have survived.
    Only 11 are in private collections.
    I was able to find a couple of new and as of then, unknown rifles, #6 and #127 and Dick Hosmer was able to find #62.
    Somewhere , hidden away unnoticed, must be others.

Applying the old rule of thumb of 25% average survival rate for 19th century martial arms would - if my guess of 150 is correct - give around 40, so there is hope.

It took me over 45 years to find mine - Fred was a bit luckier, though one of his three (#86) is a specimen long known to collectors.

6. Default

As Al Frasca pointed out on his forum, care must be taken to make sure that a low numbered orphan receiver is actually an early 1868, and not a low numbered M1869 cadet receiver. He said that this #65 receiver looks hand stamped and OK, but that a cadet receiver would be machine stamped and thus the digits would all line up.

Quote Originally Posted by alfajim View Post
    Just to let you guys know I have the receiver for #65 it is at Al's for pictures and posting. It is in great condition except a broken ear on the right side.
    If the original barrel is around somewhere it could be made whole again with the parts out there.

Jim
    The 1868 block won't be easy!

Wasn't there one for sale a year ago?
    Also, it Might be that the original rear site leaf used to be one of the earlier experimental sight leafs that Dick has identified and that might've been mounted on rifles # 10 thru at least # 127.

Dick, I'll bet you've got some insight on that. What do you think?
    Last edited by Fred; 06-06-2017 at 03:09.

FYI there is a seller on EBay selling all the parts for a 1869 50-70 stock, barrel w/receiver & tang, breech block complete, lock plate assy. plus all the hardware and furniture to assemble it it's ser #1528.

Plus he a 1866 rare short version, stock with hardware and trigger, barrel bands, plus the barrel complete, lock plate assy, breech block.

at bluesky.

Jim

Additional info on the 1866 rifle it is a short varient two band version. Barrel is complete with rear sight, tang, breech block hinge plate, extractor and ejector, no front sight.
    Breech block is dated 1866 and complete with hinge screw, latch and firing pin.
    Stock is complete with ram rod, ram rod spoon, barrel bands and springs, but plate and trigger plate with trigger.
    Two lock plate assy's complete one dated 1863 and one dated 1864 both look to be in good condition with screw's.
    Bore is nice and shiny with good 6 groove barrel still .50 cal. not sleeved.
    I believe there is enough stuff to assemble a complete 1866 rifle in nice condition if any one is interested?

Jim