Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default An interesting observation for Dick Hosmer...

Dick, here's another experimental rear sight leaf on serial number 86. Wow!

image.jpg
    Last edited by Fred; 05-30-2017 at 09:27.

Fascinating! And, Graham apparently never noticed the difference. I never figured that 62 was unique, but I do claim to have been the first person to bring the variation to light.

Wonder what caused them to run the sight into the receiver at #6? Apparently - SO early on in the process - they just slapped some parts together, basically as a 'mock-up', without regard for the final appearance. Whatever they took the barrel from, that is where the sight dovetail made them mount the sight, which was just ground off, I guess?

Thought for the day:

You now need a 4-digit 1869, a 5-digit 1869, and a 5-digit 1870! And, NO, I am NOT joking - at all - such a run would really be the epitome, and would make one FANTASTIC display. Sure winner at the annual NRA show.

Good news is that all three can be obtained quite reasonably, and would be fun to assemble. In fact, I'd be willing to sell you my 25755, which is of comparable condition, at some future date. I'll put your name on it right now, just in case. That would be a great home for it.

Dick, I think that number 6 has a liner.
    Converted musket barrels would certainly have the rear sight dovetails to contend with.
    I wonder if that could be one of the reasons the decision was made to make new barrels...?

That's a Great idea Dick!! I might as well since the really tough to find ones have been gotten. I just Forest Gump'd my way into those, that's for sure. I'll run your suggestion by the Memsahib.
    You're the first and only person to notice that difference in the rear sights!
    I wonder if Serial Number 131 also has this sight...?
    I'm still trying to get a response from a guy on YouTube who was shooting his 1869 dated rifle with the serial number of 216.
    That'd be a neat thing to have too.
    Last edited by Fred; 05-31-2017 at 09:52.

Oooops, I forgot the 3-digit 1869 - that would have to be included, but still not a deal-breaker.

You can get a good start with the 4-digit 1869 and either 5-digit. That would make the "basic" set, which could be filled in as you go.

Rifle 86 has wonderful metal surfaces. Really clean.
    Rifle 127 has seen the effects of bad storage maybe. Mostly on the butt plate. There's little wear.
    I'm inclined to believe that all of the 1868 made rifles must've just been put away in storage after the testing and trials were done, then later sold off as surplus.
    Last edited by Fred; 05-31-2017 at 11:38.

Number 6 for sure - later ones that were functionally interchangeable may have seen some service.

62 is nearly new but, like 127, has seen some loss through storage. It could be whizzed to 98-99%, but I'm not about to do so. The occasional rub with an oily rag is sufficient for my needs.